Argoflex/Argus 75 shutter issue

erinivie

Hello everyone. I'm relatively new here, however I have done searches both in the forums and outside the site and I haven't found much that can help.

I recently came across my grandparents' Argoflex 75. It's in relatively new condition, and while I know it's not worth much I'd like to be able to take some photos with it for sentimentality's sake. Unfortunately, the shutter on it tends to stick half open. As I said, I've done some searches on how to fix the issue, but most of what I've found hasn't been very helpful; mainly people saying that you'd be better off just buying another camera. I've already taken it apart and cleaned it once, and afterwards the shutter worked perfectly for about 20 clicks, however it started sticking again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the shutter? I'd rather try to get it fixed myself instead of taking it to a repair place and spending $100-$200 for them to fix it if it's a fairly easy fix.

PS: that viewfinder spring is a hugs pain in the rear to put back on. I had the dang thing fall out 4 times during reassembly. Ack!

The suggestion I have is not full proof but it works for me most of the time with gummed up shutters. I use this method for cameras that are not worth much as it is not the preferred way to CLA a camera. This method does not involve shutter disassembly. Assuming you reassembled the shutter OK, use a liberal amount of lighter fluid and work the shutter while wet...if it works while wet at all speeds then your're ahead of the game..if not toss the camera. With a Q tip very gently wipe the diaphragm and shutter blades as you exercise the shutter many times...let dry. More than likely you will repeat this step several more times until the shutter operates correctly when dry...might actually take a few days. I have also sometimes mixed a little fine graphite into the lighter fluid to provide some lubricant to the shutter but it is messy and requires more cleaning( in the future too, after the shutter has been used many times). Then you need to clean the lens. Good luck.
Dan Deary