tripod for 8x20

herwig_prammer1

i would be very glad if those who have experience in that matter

could give me an advice. i need a tripod for an 8x20 camera (12kg /

25lbs about with holder and lens and everything). shall i take my

gitzo series 5 and put a gitzo pan head series 5 on it or shall i

think about a german berlebach or a ries (i have not really

experience with ries, but as i can read everywhere, they must be

great). which ries would you suggest in this case, A 100 or A 100-2?

as i intend to shoot a lot of verticals soon, it must be a heavy and

sturdy tripod with a strong head, and maybe i get a 12x20, so it

should work for a 12x20 as well.

thanks and regards

I use a 3036 Bogen/Manfrotto tripod with a 3039 Boge/Manfrotto head (with the large square quick release). This combination weighs a lot less than what folks often recommend for ULF cameras but it is more than sturdy enough to support my my 12X20 Canham, and would support easily a lot more weight I am sure.

Whatever you use you are really going to need a monopod or accessory tripod to support the short dimension of a banquet cameras when you turn it sideways for vertical shots. You really can't expect that any tripod will support all of that force when you turn the camera on its side because it is not just a question of weight but of torque on the point where the camera mounts to the tripod.

I use a J100-2 Ries with a J-250 double tilt head for a Korona 12x20. This is a custom J100-2 with 35" legs(5" shorter). Lighter and easier to carry around and more sturdy.No problems at all doing verticles either. I considered the A-series but what I have is fine. The Ries is great but heavy! That said, I really love using it! And...you might want to make sure the Gitzo head is capable of doing verticals...I dont think it is...you can put an A series head on the Gitzo but with no panning ability I've heard.Good luck!

I use a Gitzo 1548 with the rationelle low profile head. I found a way to do veticals. Instead of puting the camera base perpendicular to the head platform orientation, I put the base parallel and I can "tilt" the head 90° for verticals. I gotta tell you though, although the camera is steady and does not tilt by its own weight it is kind of nerve wrecking and I am always right next to the camera in case it falls over. One thing that helped preventing this was puting one of the legs directly below the camera and splaying this leg more than the other ones, the gitzo 1548 is able to do this by moving the locks at the collar. So far the few times I have tried my Korona survived.

For a while I used the Bogen tripod mentioned earlier and it is OK, the Ries though is a lot more solid. Once the camera is sitting on it you can feel how solid it is through the controls on the camera. The tilt head Ries makes is good and simple, the bearings in my Bogen wore out a few times.

The Ries will last forever and not give you frostbite when you pick it up in winter months!!

CP Goerz.

The maximum on the largest Gitzo (G1570M) low profile head max's out at 22 lbs. So, it might not be strong enough, even though it has the platform. However, I use one of these with my 19lb Calumet, and it works fine.

As for a tripod, I have an old large Linhof that's decades old with about a 2 inch column that would be excellent for that sized camera. I've seen them at Swap Meets, for example, but not very often. One went for about $200. (Mine's NFS.)

Or, a Majestic tripod with the huge geared head.

Bogen has an upgrade head to the 4047 that's very similar, but has a stated maximum of 26lbs. You could test it out, but it seems like it's not quite up to a camera of that size. But, I've not checked it. So, it's possible. It uses their standard hexagonal plate for the quick release.

<i>The maximum on the largest Gitzo (G1570M) low profile head max's out at 22 lbs. So, it might not be strong enough, even though it has the platform. However, I use one of these with my 19lb Calumet, and it works fine. </i><p>

Hmmm...I use mine with my Korona, which must weight about 26 # with holder and have not had any problems.

I use a 12X20 weighing 30+ lb and frequently shoot verticals. I use the 1548 Gitzo legs when traveling to save weight, a Reis A-100 at home, and always the largest Reis double tilt head, travel or at home. I've not found anything else that gives me 100% confidence for verticals. The Reis head can be placed on the Gitzo legs, but panning is much more difficult. I use this combo whenever traveling, which is a lot, and find that it will support a vertical without an additional tripod, though a very small CF monopod or tripod will obviously increase the confidence factor. Try the white stuff they put under carpets to prevent skidding in order to prevent the camera rotating on the tripod head in the vertical position. An extra tripod obviously helps with this as well.

Good luck!

N Congdon