Hi Guys,

I am a Nikon user for many years. I am interested to buy a Nikon

500/4 for my wild life photography (mainly mammals etc also birds

occasionally) but a bit reluctant as they might soon release a VR/IS

lens eventhough they revised these lenses in 2001. I am also

considering changing to Canon because of their wider selection of IS

lenses. The following issues will help my decision either way. In

your experience on wild life photography with regards to IS/VR :-

1) How important is IS/VR for wlid life photography?

2) Would it give good exposures if even we had to use 500mm lens

with a x2 converter at slower shutter speeds without any/minimal

affect of vibrations?

3) Does IS work well on a tripod mounted lens? Not only during

panning, does it work when the ball head is locked as well? As far

as I know, Nikon VR system does not work if the ball head is

locked !!!

4) I am not familiar with the EOS system layout, but in F5 we have

an autofocus on button to focus, but this doesn't engage the VR mode

in the new 70-200 VR lens, VR is only engaged during shutter

release. This could lead to a shutter lag. So in future even Nikon

releases VR super teles this could well be a problem. Is this the

situation with Canon IS system as well or is better?

5) Do we miss a lot of enalargeable shots by not having VR/IS?

Many thanks for your information and time.

Best Regards,

Cham

You will hear a lot of different opinions on this, but I do not own

any IS lenses. IS didn't exist when I was investing in my gear. I

really don't have any intention of upgrading to IS glass just so I

can have the latest greatest equipment. I am primarily a wildlife

shooter, and I shoot everything on a large heavy tripod. The

problems that I encounter with images that are less than sharp

are due to the wildlife moving, not the camera. Obviously, the IS

isn't going to stop the wildlife from moving. To me it is

superfluous. ...because of the way that I shoot (nothing is ever

hand-held) and the fact that my technique when using a tripod

and shooting wildlife has been honed over the years, I don't see

how it could improve the sharpness of my images. Also, my

images are regulary published in high profile publications that

have a reputation for quality photographs. Whether or not it will

improve the sharpness in your images depends on your

shooting style and how well honed your technique is. I suspect

that it can probably compensate for technique that is suspect

and I'm sure it is useful when shooting without a tripod.

1) Not very on a 500 or 600 f/4. With proper tripod and technique, subject movement is the biggest cause of motion blur.

3) Nikkor 80-400VR works on a tripod/ball head with heavier bodies F5/D1/D1X/D1H but turn it off for lighter bodies like the F100 or you run the risk of a rear objective jog changing your composition at fast shutter speeds and introducing blur at middle shutter speeds.

4) Nikkor VR mode is initiated with partial shutter depress and doesn't cause any shutter lag, you just don't get the full benifit if you just press the shutter down in a single motion.

Regarding Cham's question,

I don't honestly know the answer, but I have to say that the other answers given, seem to be all made by those who have never tried or are willing to try out an IS lens at these ranges. At least the way I've read the responses, they seem to be out-of-hand "never used the technology, don't think I need it, everything is great just the way it is/was...". I'd be curious on other opinions.

Well, if you want to get right down to it, very few things are essential for wildlife photography, including 500mm lenses.<br><br>

That said, IS works like a dream, reliably giving you 2-3 extra stops of hand holdability. That means you can carry a 400/5.6 on even a dull day and shoot 100-speed film without a tripod.<br><br>

Other people's shooting styles may vary. My experience is that IS works very well on a tripod-locked lens and helps clean up that little bit of camera shake that's so hard to get rid of.<br>

<br>

Canon IS does work well with 1.4 extenders. Can't say for sure about 2x. May depend on the body.<br>

<br>

I believe, though I can't swear to it, that Canon IS can be activated along with autofocus on a separate button on the body. I don't use this feature; if I'm worried about quick shutter timing, I nudge the shutter now and then to keep the IS humming along while I'm waiting to shoot.<br><br>

Basically I think IS contributes a lot and costs very little in terms of either cash or inconvenience.<br><br>

Bob Keefer<br>

Keefer Photography<br>

<a href="http://www.bkpix.com">www.bkpix.com</a>

I've shot with a Tokina 400mm SD lens for several years before buying the 80-400mm VR. I tripled the number of keepers I get. VR is definitely the reason. I use it often with a Tamron SP 1.4x. AF is pathetic, but I manual focus and still get great, sharp shots. I saw a Nikon 500mm P lens on eBay going for around $1,600 recently. I'm so happy with the VR lens I didn't even bid. Keep in mind that I'm not a "hardcore" bird photographer, and because of my hunting skills I'm able to find critters and get reasonably close. The 80-400mm VR fits my style because I like to crawl up and stalk wary animals. I can then use the 80-400mm VR lens braced against a tree or prairie dog mound instead of goofing with a big bulky tripod and lens. There is no doubt in my mind that VR technology greatly increases my "keepers," and is worth the money. I'm buying the 24-120 VR when it comes out and selling my 28-105mm.

Kent in SD

I use both a 80-400 VR lens and a 500 F4 AFS lens. When shooting hand held action images, the VR lens is superior to the 500. For slower subjects where sharpness is critical, the 500 is a delight when used with a good tripod. My 80-400 VR does not work very well from a tripod so I include a Nikkor 200 micro in my pack, especially when using a tripod. With the 80-400 VR, it is possible to brace yourself so steady that the VR will go nuts. The VR doesn't work on a tripod, you have to turn it off.

Cham, I am afraid that you have unintentionally opened a huge can of worms. This very topic generated some extremely heated debate 2.5 years ago in <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0015oW">this thread</A>. Unfortunately, that thread required some heavy editing before it would calm down. Hopefully we can have more civil disagreement this time around.

<P>

A little more than a year ago, I got into medium format and bought a Contax 645. That camera doesn't have any 3D color matrix meter or evaluative metering. All it has is old-fashion center weighted and spot. As it turns out, the exposure I am getting from the Contax is just fine. Initially I often verified the Contax reading with my F5 reading. Pretty soon I was convinced that they are usually the same, so I don't compare them any more.

<P>

I'd say a lot of these fancy modern features are good to have in certain occasions. But I too feel that subject movement is the main issue in wildlife photography so that I tend to use a fast shutter speed anyway. That's why I still don't own any IS or VR lens to date.

I feel that for wildlife photography, image stabilized lenses are an advantage, not necessarily "important." I've used Canon's IS lenses and WOW they *are* fantastic. I would love to have the whole set (heck I'd love to have one!) but right now its not possible so I use what I have. In low light with slow shutter speeds and good technique my old 400 f/5.6 L is still cranking out razor sharp images and yes they are gorgeous at big sizes.

Another thing to think about before buying a big IS lens is the IS motor (whatever the thing is called). When it engages there is an audible sound and for some reason, a slight shift of the image in the viewfinder. That, to me, is highly annoying - so much so that I've even turned IS off when I felt it wasn't necessary. So, try before you buy (yes, I would still buy it!)

I have a question about the usefulness of really long lenses (>=800 mm) in bird photography. I can see the use in that a close-up of a bird is sometimes desirable, but at least to me, the angle of view is so narrow that the perspective is usually flattened so much that the end result is unattractive. It looks flat. In fact, I've never seen a bird photo taken with a lens longer than 800 mm which I'd consider aesthetically pleasing. I also don't like the sterile background that results. Is it just me?

Gloria, you have a wonderful site and your pictures really bring out the beauty of your subjects.

Thanks Shun,

I had a look at that thread that you quoted, it sounded very heated. This thread is a bit different in a way, in that I am trying to compare IS and VR constructively, without trying to raise heated arguments, hopefully!!!!

I totally agree with you in that technology could help but there are always other means to get the same outcome. I presume you might be getting better landscape photos from Contax without having a 3D colour matrix meter especially when you enlarge!!!

It is very difficult to hire high end Canon/Nikon equipment in Melbourne, Australia otherwise I would have tried my self.

Notwithstanding that I am very naive to digital imaging, just a thought that is it a possibility to use D1X with a higher ISO sensitivity to get faster shutter speeds thereby avoiding vibrations? Even if so would they be enlargeable? If this the case it is an option to supplement a digital body for eg D100 (also free x1.4converter as well!!)? As far as I undersand Moose Peterson shoots digital.

Thanks again.

>1) How important is IS/VR for wlid life photography?

>2) Would it give good exposures if even we had to use 500mm lens with

a x2 converter at slower shutter speeds without any/minimal affect of

>vibrations?

Canon users reports that IS helps reduce vibration from mirror slap, wind, etc... so IS does help. Whether that is important or not depends on your techniques.

>3) Does IS work well on a tripod mounted lens? Not only during

panning, does it work when the ball head is locked as well? As far as

I know, >Nikon VR system does not work if the ball head is locked !!!

The newest generation of Canon IS - which includes the 500mm L IS - supports working on a locked tripod.

>4) I am not familiar with the EOS system layout, but in F5 we have an

autofocus on button to focus, but this doesn't engage the VR mode in

the new >70-200 VR lens, VR is only engaged during shutter release.

... Is this the situation with Canon IS system as well or is better?

With Canon, IS activates on AF activation or shutter release. This is handled primarily using the shutter button. There is an option to move AF to another button via a custom function.

I do not own a VR lens, but I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow one for a trip to Canada two years ago. I was driving through the national parks in the Rockies with a lot of wildlife along the roadside. For that purpose, VR worked great. Hand held + VR + a little additional support from the car window worked very well. This photo: http://www.photo.net/photo/1222220 was taken on an overcast day with the 80-400 VR at 400 mm and 1/30. The softness is an artefact from the scanning procedure (I'm still trying to get to grips with that), the original slide is as sharp as ever. This photo: http://www.photo.net/photo/1222214 was taken panning at high speed (same caveat applies)

From http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/500vs600.shtml : "Some people ask - is IS really necessary when one is using a tripod? The answer is a resounding yes. A 500mm or 600mm lens has 10X and 12X magnification respectively. Even the resting of ones hands on a tripod mounted lens this long causes vibration, and if there's a wind blowing then that's another contributor to camera shake. It needs to be borne in mind that when shooting wildlife, at least, one is usually working in low light levels, early and late in the day, which means sometimes shooting at 1/60th or even slower. I have done this successfully with the 500mm and 600mm IS lenses but not so successfully with earlier long non-IS telephotos".

I guess that it boils down to this. If you want a 500mm lens with IS you can buy it now, albeit at a cost of system change. Alternatively you can just wait for Nikon to make a VR version of their 500/4. I suppose it may take a year or two at least as there are not even rumors about it. Contrary, Canon is expected to show a 500/2.8 DO IS at PMA. However, even if this will turn out to be true, such a lens will definitely be much more expensive than the current 500/4 IS.

And there are also rumors on a 200-600/4 DO IS......

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this topic can be viewed similar to the introdcution of AF in 1985!

It was not necessary, but extremely helpful on numerous occasions. So "IS" can be a very helpful and strong tool for ones photography.

The main advantage of "IS" that I see is for working without a tripod: stalking, hiking etc. or, to name a differrent field here, for travel photography. You could actually cut down on weight/bulk by using IS lenses and still produce sharp and publishable images.

No doubt that there are plenty of reasons to better use a tripod, but for these occasions you can turn IS off!

PS: My current system does not offer IS/VR/OS etc. and in combination with the DSLR-issue I am therefore seriously concidering a system change.

• 3 months later...
i own only 3 canon lenses, the 28-135IS, the 100-400IS and the 500IS. i mainly shoot wildlife from a vehicle. i find the IS very helpful. on the shorter lenses i need to handhold the lenses as the wildlife is usually moving around the vehicle. on the 500 it is very helpful in low light conditions or when the wife and kid moves around. The IS comes to it's right when using the converters. i have even made tack sharp images with the 2x at the last bit of daylight (at +- a 1/30). i always still shoot a lot of pictures in those conditions to make absolutely sure. I use to own a 500 f4.5 (non IS) and the newer IS version is much better. Does anyone have any news on the new DO lenses (500 DO 2.8 and 200-400 DO) ?