D850 focus point illumination

d_ponce

I've searched the settings on line to find out how to improve the illumination of the focus point on my D850 - and I think I have what is suggested as the best -- but I am getting so frustrated with the focus point illumination. I hope I just have a setting incorrect -- because if I am stuck with this I'm going to be mighty upset. I do not have the problem with the D810: once I depress the rear-focus, the focus point is bright red and easily spotted. With my D850 I have to move it around hoping it finally comes into an area where there is enough contrast to actually see the red square -- then follow it back to where I want it be --- very annoying!

Any suggestions? thanks!

Try setting A12 to On, rather than Auto since On means it will always be on. Auto means it will only be on when the camera considers the subject to be dark.

ok -- I'll give that a try; I thought that "on" was supposed to make it more difficult [Nikon: Depending on the brightness of the background, the selected focus point may be difficult to see] -- but I'll try. It is most problematic when I do event photography - which I'll be doing next week. I'll see how it works. Thanks!

Hmm. I see the focus point indicators really clearly in the D850 viewfinder (with same settings as you). Perhaps something could be broken in the camera?

Even when there is dark and light objects in the scene (for instance a person in dark clothes in a room with light walls)? I wonder about the broken part -- since I only had it a month when I slipped on ice and busted the battery compartment; sent it and the lens (had focusing issues) to Nikon for repair. I do not recall if the illumination issue had been there before the fall - since I did not get much chance to use it prior.

I guess it's possible they changed it from On to AUTO when they repaired it. (Which is the default setting??)

So it might have not had this 'issue' before it went in as it was on ON already....?

I hope you are all correct -- I'll try it with "on" -- it really can't get any worse. lol!! I'm almost certain that when it came back from the shop that I put the D810 and D850 together and made sure all settings that were on the D810 were replicated on the D850. When I am carrying two bodies at an event I like it that both are basically the same so no thought is required :-) Thanks all!

UPDATE: ok - curiosity was piqued :-) and now I see what the issue is! I set the D850 to "on" and practiced on my two black dogs sleeping on a light colored couch - I did not see any difference compared to when it was on "auto" (but I'm not sure why it was on 'auto' because my D810 was set to 'on' -- hmmm...did I miss a setting -or did I forget to do the compare after it came back from the shop??) I admit - I don't think I realized, after years of owning Nikons, that the illumination (from black to red) only happens for a split second. Because I never had a problem with seeing the illuminated square with my other Nikons I never realized how quickly that red illumination occurs! Anyway, after no change after the setting change I then put the same lens on the D810 and went back to the sleeping dogs -- now I see the issue! The D810 screen has a thicker line width!! At least twice the width of the D850! The line width on the D850 is super thin - combine that with a split second of illumination - I can easily see why it is a challenge for me - especially when I am doing event photography (I do not notice the challenge as much with other types - presumably because I am using a tripod, and nothing is moving so I know exactly which focus point I want to use -- and have time to put it in position). I guess someone with super good vision designed the screen on the D850. :-( :-(