Need advice: Is upgrading to 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM from 28-90mm II USM worth it?

fj5

see, that's the thing... I believe I'm both. There are many times where I find I have enough time to choose very carefully what I use and have time to compose my shots (you'll see in my portfolio many of my "impressions").

However, I'm also on the go a lot as well and love to capture those times where you find yourself say... "OOOO, I gotta get that on film!". I've had those little bits of bursts of spontaneity and for that I feel a zoom does help me. See, you being twice as old probably means you also have twice as much money! =p I guess I'm thinking too much as though I had that kind of money but at the same time, I have to make sacrifices with my purchases, can't get a new one without losing a "not so" old one.

I can see why the zooms are helpful for both types... either way... it'll accomodate both users at the cost of optical performance. I want my shots to be good! You'll see in my portfolio that they still lack a lot of contrast and "umph" to them! Of course, that could very well be my flatbed cheap scanner too! =p

what do you recommend for someone like me knowing this now? If you need more info, plz feel free to read my bio! Shall I just go with the 28-135 IS and forget about changing my lens ever again until I can afford to buy another one? OR... 28-105 is good enough, with my 50 II and 75-300 III USM?

Talk about beating the proverbial dead horse....

It may shock some people on this particular forum, but many medium format photographers end up using only the normal lens and somehow seem to get through life. Try living with the 50 by itself for a while. As a wise salesman once told me, if you don't know exactly what you want and why you want it - you don't need it yet.

Just how long can you beat this around. Since you say you cannot afford a high priced lens then go with what you can afford and save money until the next time you are ready to up-grade. Just ask yourself, do I want a good wide angle lens with no zoom, or do I want a good wide angle lens with the ability to also zoom in if need be. And along with what Patrick said, if you can't figure out what you want it might be best to keep using what you have, until you figure out what you need.

FJ

I am with Patrick and the previous poster.. If you dont shoot wide enough (28-50) and you are satisfied with 50mm II and 75-300 and ur 28-90, keep shooting a lot of pictures until u feel the need to change and u can figure out what you need.. both 28-105, 28-135IS are wonderful lenses.. I had teh same combo as you and it took me full one year before I upgraded to 28-135IS (useful alround lens for travels) as I figured that I travel almost twice a month and can't carry all the lenses everywhere..

Take the $200 and buy 25 rolls of quality film of all sorts of subjects, in all sort of lighting, at all aperture settings and all shutter speed combinations. Then have them all developed. Take notes on what you did, and what you ended up with.

Best investment you could make at this point in time.

FJ

Sell the 28-90 and buy the 28mm 2.8/ Really thats all you'll need. first it is a better lens optically than even the 28-105. I think the 28-105 is a dynamite lens but hell I'mm selling mine. I am buyint he 28mm to use with my 50. I would have gone all primes if it weren't for the nice price I got my 70-200 2.8 for. Essentially it cost me less than all the primes Iwas intending on in that range.

Also do buy a lot of film and take lots of photos in different lighting, and subjects etc. You will gain a lot.

I really have 3 choices which I can't seem to decide on. Alright, I have the 28-90mm f/4-5.6 II USM lens. I've shot only a total of 5 rolls with all my lenses. Yes, you all know that's pathetic but continue to bare with me. I have two jobs and would like to get out more. The lens is nice, fast, light, but a bit soft with some of the results I've seen. I do shoot at the 28-35mm range more so than the longer focal lengths of the lens. I've used my 50mm f/1.8 II more often than the other two and I do notice the improvements with the prime. I've shot some shots with the 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM lens and have been fairly pleased with the results. I haven't, however, had the opportunity to really use this lens due to the weather outside and lack of interesting subject matter where I live. Yes, yes, I should get out there and find things that may seem ordinary then find my own art in them and SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT. Trust me, I've read the advice of many of you on this site about shooting. I've got >25 rolls ready for exposure but I guess I'm still a bit blocked. Moving on, I do feel some what compulsive with this next purchase. It will not be much if I do trade in my "worst" lens and what I'm really after is a good quality system for someone in my level. Anyway, I'm going to visit some friends soon for a three day vacation and I feel this little break will allow me to explore out on my own while they're in class. That's why I want to be prepared for what I may find. These will mostly be landscape shots as well as architecture shots of the university as well as some portraits of my friends. I will most likely be able to bring all my equipment (lenses, tripod, and all) all the time around with me for I think I'm in pretty good shape and wouldn't mind the weight during some hikes.

Anyway, back to my decision... the cheapest of the three will obviously be keeping my current lens. The next step up in price is the 28mm f/2.8 prime (I'm thinking about CN$65 more)... then the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM (about CN$100 more). With any choice, I know I can afford it. To be honest, I have more money but I just don't want to spend it on a hobby... school is just more important to me. =p This next purchase sometimes seems as if I just want to spend some money and I've found the cause with my lenses. BUT, if it will help me in the long run, I'm willing to go through with it. Here's the thing... why continue to shoot with a "soft" lens if I can make the upgrade now and improve optics a little with the 28-105mm (or a lot with the prime) and not waste the film?

I've gotten different opinions from many of you and I keep changing my mind. I almost decided on the 28-105mm but Daniel's opinion really does sound tempting based on the quality of primes in general.

If there is a good enough reason to stay with my current lens... then someone tell me that. BUT, if this "little" (not that little) bit of money can help my shots now, then why not do the little upgrade? I know I can't afford a larger set than 3 lenses and so, I'm trying to make my set of 3 pretty good to last me a while. L is way beyond my reach and IS is beyond my reach as well unless I sell all three (for the 28-135mm IS USM). SO, I won't do that.

Look, I've learned A LOT about photography in just two and a half months. I know I should shoot more to really develop my skill, and so I shall. Yes, I have been relying a lot on my Ti for exposure decisions but I feel I'm doing pretty well with composition. I'm still taking my prints to the store for development and haven't really gone deep with exposure knowledge. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't care about GOOD, SHARP and CONTRASTY images for outcomes. That's what I'm looking for! Thus, my obsession with a quality system within my budget.

I hope you can understand what I mean. I'm still growing and as for books, well, I've been sticking with online knowledge mainly to save money for film! =p

help!? 28mm prime or 28-105mm? AGAIN with this freakin' question!

I'm just a beginner like you, having only two primes: 50mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro. I love both. Recently I had a dilema what to buy next: my choice was either 24mm f/1.8 prime, or to save and buy 24-70 f/2.8L zoom...

I decided to buy a lot of film and prepaid mailers from A&I instead, and shoot, shoot, shoot. Then maybe I will know what lens I need, and definatelly I will know more about photography.

My point is: If you are undecided, wait a little, don't rush things. Don't think about lenses. Think about shooting more. Spending a few hundred dollars just to shoot five rolls of film is not worth it. Shoot with what you have and after a while the answer will come to you. Better yet, rent a lens for a weekend (if it is possible) and you'll see if it suits your needs.

Sounds to me that you should go with the 28-105mm. With the variety of shots you want to take this should easily cover it.

Unless you want serious outdoor photography on slides using a tripod in availble light (things you haven't mentioned) then don't consider the 28mm prime.

If you find your using the 28mm more and more in your shots then (at a later date) really do something more and get the 24mm or even 20mm to make a real difference.

Go on. Buy the Zoom.

GO ON.

NOW.

Hey FJ,

Told you this would happen.

If you have only shot ~5 rolls of film with the one you have you don't really know (repectfully) whether the problems you are having are inherent to the lens or the result of less than perfect technique, film, exposure, etc. How disappointed would you be to buy that new lens and not see any noticable difference in your pictures?

(Then, of course, the thinking will go: "Well I should have bought the 28-135, or perhaps I could pick up a used 28-70 L, or maybe I should just spring the whole way for a 24-70 L since that really is the best quality and I will eventually... THIS WAY LIES MADNESS!)

My advice, like many of the above would be to stick with the lenses you have currently and get some more rolls of film under your belt. Once you've shot, say, 50 rolls of film through your lens then let yourself revisit the question of whether, and what, to change.

If you MUST buy a new lens now, go with the cheapest option that will also bring you the greatest increase in quality = the 28mm prime. Actually, if you can afford it, I would say buy the prime and keep your current zoom. This will let you get a feel for what you prefer, i.e., which one do you reach for to make sure you get those "important" shots. Also, a good set of primes is something that, I think, every photographer needs even if they do most of their shooting with zooms. If you buy that 28-105mm you will, probably sooner than later, feel the need to replace it with something better. The 28mm, however, will serve you quite well for a long time.

Well, it looks like I'm going to stick with my current zoom lens right now. Henry's was only offering me CN$75 for it!!!! It's worth at least CN$275!!! It's brand spanking new (well, minimal usage!). I just thought that for a little bit more money, I could improve some optical quality. Is that such a crime? I know I can still improve on technique and I do use a tripod and a cable release, etc... but whatever. Anyway, if I want to sell this lens, it would have to be through ebay. Any of you want to sell it for me? OR, is it hard to sell on ebay? Is there too much work to do that? I want to sell this lens for at least US$200. That's less than what you pay for in stores!

Anyway, I'll take all my lenses with me on my little vacation. I think I can pull off good shots with this lens... but ya, as I said, it felt like I was on a bit of an impulse and if a little more money got me a better lens, then I'd do it... thus the question "Is it worth it?"

I don't mean to sound so inexperienced but I know I am. I know I've learned a lot by reading and now it's all up to practice. I wouldn't mind practicing with nicer toys though. =p You know what I mean? =p

Thanks guys! Photo.net rocks!

If you really want to ponder look at the lens test at photodo.com. I have the 28-105 and it is a good lens. I wished I had seen it before I bought anything. Some of the ratings will open your eyes. According to an article by Phil Grenspun a rating of 3.5 or better will get you critical sharpness http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/canon_lenses.shtml

Enjoy

Hugh Sammons

<i>"Henry's was only offering me CN$75 for it!!!! It's worth at least CN$275!!!"</i>

<p>

Well FJ, unfortunately, it is only <i>worth</i> what people are willing to pay for it. Considering that Henry's sells the 28-90 for about $150 used, and that most people don't <i>trade up</i> to a 28-90, $75 doesn't seem so bad. Though certainly, selling to a camera store is not the most lucrative method of unloading equipment.

<p>

When/if you do buy a new lens, this is something that you might want to consider - buy lenses that don't depreciate too quickly.

Yeah, I know... I realized the store is the worst place to sell it to... but I know they'll take this lens... and sell it for like $275 CN after they get it. It's in perfect almost brand new condition. As for my buying it, it was apart of my first kit and it was a great deal. I'm going to stick with it though. It ain't that bad... I think I've passed my compulsive buying phase for the time being... =)