through many sources, I notice that many of the nature and

landscape photographers in Japan use velbon ball head, especially

PH173. Any user experiences with this particular ball head or ball

heads from velbon? I don't have the budget for either AS B1 or Kirk's

BH1 ball head and since many pros in Japan use it, I think it may be a

descent choice. What do you think?

Sincerely,

Edward Yu

I have a PH-163Q ballhead. I like its fit and finish. I don't have big telephoto or zoom lenses (nothing larger than a 70-210mm), so I cannot comment on well it supports heavy loads. I like the QR plates because they are light, and they have a ridge along one edge to prevent twisting if you shoot vertically. I wanted a lightweight, somewhat compact kit, so I teamed the PH-163Q with a Bogen 3001 tripod legset.

I have never operated a Arca-Swiss or Kirk BH1, so I cannot comment about how the Velbon stacks up against those pieces of hardware.

I love the Velbon head. I used it for a while with a Bogen 3221, and now with a new Carbon Fiber Hakuba 4260. By the way, the Hakuba is an extremely impresive tripod for $289.00, and rates right up there with the more expensive carbon fiber tripods in my opinion. I tested out the Velbon head against a half dozen more expensive name brand heads, and I liked it the best. When that thing is locked, it feels like it is welded. I love the QR plates, and the anti slip pad that comes with them really work great. I have used it with my 300 f4.0 ED Nikkor and a Pentax 645 system, and it is very solid. I think it is the best deal for a ball head on the market anyone using 300-400 mm lenses or less.

• 2 years later...

I have the Velbon PH273 ballhead and it is excellent - probably the best ballhead in the price range. Light, sturdy, smooth operating, rigid locking. One easily turned lever controls panning, friction and ball movement. Supports a Nikon F3HP with MD-4 motor drive and 180mm f/2.8 Nikkor (a heavy, bulky lens for folks who haven't seen one) without creeping or sagging, including in vertical orientation.

Two notches to simplify orientation from horizontal to vertical.

Very simple magnesium construction. Basically, two clamshells around a big ball. A cammed bolt through the clamshells locks and unlocks the ball. Big lever - won't sprain your thumb and forefinger trying to operate it.

Really makes Velbon's Carmagne legsets sound attractive, tho' they're not as good a deal as this ballhead.

• 6 years later...