Underwater Housing Through Airport Security

donal_murphy

Hi,

I'm flying to Crete from Gatwick Airport, UK, later this month and I'm taking an Ikelite Underwater Housing for my old Nikon D90. Does anyone know if I can take it as hand luggage through security or if I need to put it in checked-in luggage? I'm not sure if security will be happy with the various metal parts. Does anyone have experience doing this from a UK airport?

Thanks

Donal

Donal, I have never heard of this being a problem. Security may want to check your housing when you go through security with a carry on but that is not a problem. I usually check my housing, ports and flashes in a pelican case with tsa locks and carry on my cameras and lenses. Some folks carry on every thing they can and have no problems with getting their housings through security. Some airlines carry on baggage weight limits are more strictly enforced so it may be a problem to hand carry. It is more important to know what the airline says than the airport and that is because the airlines will enforce the airports standards as well as their own.

Hi,

Thanks for the guidance and advice. I'll check backscatter and see if Gatwick can help.

Regarding size - I plan to take off the baseplate/tray so it's reasonable to fit in hand luggage. Easyjet don't have a weight limit on cabin luggage, you just need to be able to lift it into the overhead bins.

Easyjet? The one thing I'd say is be very sure about the size limit (of your baggage as a whole, not just the housing). I've seen people breaking bits off their bags to get them on the flight with the budget carriers. I've never seen another airline check this. They may also charge you a lot if you haven't printed the boarding card out at home before you leave. I recommend the Fascinating Aida song "
". Good luck!