Calumet 4x5 C400 WA Lens Question

steve_levine

I own several of these very basic black cameras.I presently own

135mm & 210mm lenses which both work fine with these bodies.My

question is:with a 90mm lens and these basic bellows,will I be able

to work with any movements?I want to avoid the expense of bag

bellows,or recessed boards etc.Will my front & rear standards be

touching at 90MM?As always,thanks for any help.

Steve, I use the CC400 series wide body version with the recessed front standard. With the standard bellows,I can use the 90mm and even the 65mm on a flat lens board with movements. These are great little cameras for normal and wide angle...210mm is the longest lens it will take.

Steve, when I was using a Calumet 400 series in the late 1970's (the model with the 16 inch rail). I had to use a recessed lensboard, in order to use a 90mm wide angle lens on the camera. The camera didn't have an interchangeable bellows. I believe that Calumet still handles recessed lensboards for that model. The front and rear standards will not be touching with that set-up. No danger of putting the rear element of the lens through the groundglass. If that's what you are referring to.

Hi Steve,

I've used a C400 for a short time but with a Caltar 90 f/8 only. Since there's no way to change the bellows I've bought a recessed lensboard (4'x4') but achieving poor movements anyway...

Sure Calumet stocks a few of these lensboard, if you call them ask for Josè or Jim Warren. The item numbers for those lensboards are CC45040 for the recessed Copal 0 board (in stock for $59.99) and CC45031 for the flat Copal 1 board in stock for $44.99, though shown as unavailable on their website.

Cheers

Fabio Pollero

Savona

NW Italy