nikon f55 v canon eos 3000n

ben_williams6

Ben,

If you decide to go with Nikon, you would be better off with the F65.

The cost is not all that much higher and the F65 has several advantages over the F55. Some of the limitations that affect the F55; you get TTL flash metering only with the built in pop-up flash, no support for AF-S lenses (they will not autofocus but are otherwise functional), and the F55 does not support VR. The F65 has none of these limitations.

The N55 kit sells for $269.95 USD and the N65 kit costs $339.95 USD. These prices come from the B&H web site and are for the US versions (not gray market).

I hope this helps.

Vernon

They are both comparable cameras. Good low cost SLRs. What I don't like about the low end Nikons is that you can't set the film speed manually. That's really a bummer for me.

But what you are really doing is buying into a camera system, so you might want to look at the lenses and flash units that you might want to buy in the next few years to go with it. If there's nothing else you might buy in the future, then just get the one that feels the best to you.

But would you be interested in Image Stabilization or Viration Reduction lenses to add to your system next year, or even now? Both Nikon & Canon have them, but The Nikon versions are only their more expensive lenses, while Canon has more of them and some reasonably priced ones.

Nikon's flash system is a little bit better & easier if you are firing direct flash. Canon's flash system isn't bad either, but has more features, like auto exposure while using high speed sync, and flash exposure lock.

Another thing to consider is, do you have any friends with a Nikon or Canon auto focus SLR that might be willing to let you try out their accessories now and then? Or maybe just to answer the inevitable questions you might have?

Jim is correct. You should look at the system as well. As he says both are roughly on equal terms in terms of range and quality. I would check to see if there is a big price difference in your country between the two systems. Otherwise, as a Nikon user, I would suggest Canon. Nikon just have too many incompatibilities. They have recently started introducing G lenses that won't fit most auto-focus bodies (though they fit all new AF bodies). You will find no Nikon AF teleconverters, except for high end lenses, no Nikon extension tubes, and manual focus lenses won't meter on most recent bodies. They will probably make even more incompatible changes a year or two up the road.

thanks guys, you give me the confidence that i will invest in the right system, a .............canon. yes everything you all say seems to point to the canon, and adds to the argument a few rockcliming photographers have been saying to me.

i like the look of the F55, but really thats not photography is about is it!

thanks again and happy picture taking

ben,

new south wales,

australia