john_kasaian1

I got to use a black bag for the first time to load and unload 4x5

holders---not too bad! I see that Harrison makes one for 8x10 size

film, a lot cheaper than thier tents. Has anyone here used one? Is

it worth it or are the tents so superior I'd be better off saving up

for one of those instead? The Ice Hockey gearbag turned darkroom

mentioned in an earlier thread seems pretty cool. I wonder how its

working out?

John, un-loading holders in a plain, flat changing bag is easy. Loading them is another story. The small size Harrison Film Pup tent is a pleasure to work with. It's well worth the investment. It is designed for 4X5 holders, but it will probably work with holders all the way up to 8X10, if you just use a few at a time.

Wouldn't it be possible to rig up a little support to put inside the bag, like maybe out of a cardboard box or something? Or just a stick? Why does it have to be so fancy/expensive?

(I have a bag on order, hope I don't regret it...)

CXC

In my experience the 4X5 bag doesn't work for 8X10. It doesn't allow enough room to effectively remove the dark slide and insert the film, it just isn't wide enough. I tried one and returned it for the 8X10, it works very well, is easy to set up and barring carrying it for miles on end isn't "too" heavy.

Based on my experience, stay away from bags and get a tent. Also, I'd recommend getting the next larger size than your targeted film size. It gives you more room to spread out--film boxes, empty holders, holders you're loading or unloading, etc. In addition, if you go up in film size, it's one thing you won't have to buy.

I'm going to second the vote for a tent, but I'm also wondering what your intended use is? I just bought the Harrison Pup Tent and am using it for both 4x5 as well as 8x10. It is not at all ideal for 8x10, but I had bought the "Standard" tent and found it far too large for traveling (so promptly exchanged it). The Pup fits perfectly in the top of my f64 BPX pack with just a bit of extra room for a lens or two. The standard would never fit into my pack along with the camera. And, since I like to fly with my camera, tent size was was really important to me. If I didn't have a darkroom at home, or planned on always traveling by car I'd go really big because the extra room is really nice.

-Jen

Jen, I'd use the bag/tent/ice hockey gear bag(?) for loading and unloading my 8x10 holders in case lifes not so great at super 8---(just in case I should find one that has windows in the bathroom!)while on the road. Next winter I'm going to try (well, I'm planning to)to bag all the 14ers in Colorado with my aerial camera. Roll film in the K-19 has become a real hassle so its likely I'll use the 8x10 which I found likes plastic holders and so far I've only got fifteen of them to shoot over 50 peaks. Either I reload my holders in Colorado or wear grooves in 80 with my tires as I'm driving back and forth to my daughter's bathroom/my darkroom in California to reload. I'm finding the idea of the 8x10 size tent appealing, since someday I'd like to try ULF. Has anybody every used the 8x10 tent to reload 8x20 or 12x20? Could it be done in an ice hockey gear bag? Thanks for all the suggestions!