Looking for good sunrise spots near Port St Lucie, FL

matt miller cambridge, ia

I'm going to be visiting family in Port St Lucie Florida in mid

March. I would like to head to the coast a few mornings for some

sunrise shots. I'm looking for a beach with some structure like

rocks, trees, etc. I don't want to have to spend too much time

searching for a good spot when I get there. What are your favorite

spots in this area?

My parents live in Port St. Lucie...I like to shoot at Jensen Beach (about 15 minutes southeast of Port St. Lucie) just off of road A1A. Jensen Beach is a public beach with plenty of parking and accessibility. There are several entrances...you may have to try different ones for different shots and landscapes. Plenty of sand dunes, birds, plants, fiddler crabs, etc. Also, on the way to Jensen Beach, there are some places on the Causeway bridge that goes over the intercoastal that make for interesting shots (boat ramps, fishing piers, pelicans). Going early in the morning (in mid-March) there won't be many other people there at all. Let me know how it works out, and/or if you discover any other good places!

Thanks for the reply Scott. I've shot at Jensen Beach before, and will probably do it again this time. I'm just on the lookout for something different. The last time I went to Jensen Beach to shoot, I got there about an hour before sunrise. I found this ribbon of shells about 4 feet wide by a few hundred yards long. I took this shot that morning.<div>004d4d-11642184.jpg.44986fd1c73d492525e247aa6dd2faf7.jpg</div>

Also look at Jupiter lighthouse. It's on the north end of Palm Beach County, but it's just a short drive south of Port St. Lucie. Lots of history... and if you're willing to spend the $5, you can go up inside and go to the top. The Crab House, right across the inlet, has pretty good food and they make an awesome bloody mary, complete with jumbo shrimp hanging from the side of the glass!

Blowing Rocks is an easy drive south - at the Jupiter exit. Take a protective filter. I find it as enjoyable at low tide as at high tide (when the water is "blowing"). If you are the canoeing type, on the same road you turn west and it will take you to Loxahatchee River - beautiful spot but it's more of an adventure with some excellent photo opportunities.

Mike