Photo Magazine(s)

andre_bosmans

If you are into BW photography then the Britsh magazine Black & White is a must read IMO. Wonderful images from "ordinary" photographers some of whom are into Leica. Great technique articles for the BW darkroom too. Even if you are in the digital darkroom I think that one can learn techniques that will help in "making" strong images. Also the British magazine Pratical Photography has wonderful techniques and images to inspire.

Chip

I still subscribe to Shutter Bug, only because I sent in my money

before they down sized it. It's still a quick reference for prices,

especially when at a camera show. Almost never read the

articals any more. Studio and Design if still a favorite because it

features a wedding shooter in every issue. My magazine reading

has dropped off considerably in the last year. To much digital

and not enough images of interest. The web serves for news

now.

I still read The Rangefinder, mostly because there's no way to get off their list. I get The Big Picture on that same basis. Popular Photography ain't what it used to be. I miss Modern Photography, but they couldn't make it alone. They had the best lens tests of anyone. I guess I'm just old and jaded.

I wish that we could have some magazines like the British journals here in the States. The reality is that Pop Photo works two months aou, so it's not really timely. And compared to British journals it seems to be totally advertising drive (little editorila content). They also fail to really highlight the works of the general population like the British mags. America Photo seems to artsy in the few issues that I have read.

Happy snaps

Chip

Most of the photo magazines now available are photo equipment magazines. There is a disturbing lack of photography in them. I still subscribe to "Pop Photo" and to "Outdoor Photographer" but I seldom read much of each issue. I buy the British "Black & White Photography" magazine pretty often. I sometimes buy "Practical Photography". For real, honest-to-gosh photos, I subscribe to "Lens Work" and buy "B&W". I've considered subscribing to "Aperture" but I can't find an issue on the local news stands to get a look what it looks like these days.

Magazines I miss: "Modern Photography" and "Camera 35". Does anyone remember when the magazines published annuals with portfolios of various photographers? Some of those were outstanding. I wish I'd kept those books.

i am only subscribed to leica world, but i always buy photo ( the

french one), and photo life ( excelent canadian magazine).

sometimes i buy american photo,( but lately this one looks more

like popular photo and less like american photographer) , i also

buy B&W all the time,and photo techniques now and then.

I still get POP for sentimental reasons but I don't know how much longer I'll keep it up. I'm not planning to renew Outdoor Photographer again, it's turned into an infomercial almost as bad and superficial as Petersen's. I can't read the downsized Shutterbug without a magnifying glass so unless they change it I'm not renewing it either. I had it with Leica Fotografie, their poor English translations and pointless articles. I get Leica View, it's an informercial but at least I don't have to pay to be solicited. I agree I miss Modern Photography--but POP Photo was good back then too, so chances are Modern would have declined as well. The thing that really gets my goat is that all those publishers have sister mags dealing strictly with digital, yet they fill half the photo mags with digital drivel as well. Even the last issue of the LHSA Viewfinder had stuff about digital!

My vote goes for International Photographer, a magazine out of Taiwan that features primarily black and white photographers. They have zero ads, but you make up for that fact on cover price. They only take photographers who have been working for 10 years or more I believe... (At least that is what they told a friend of mine who took her portfolio into them.)

I see two main types of photography magazines out there: gear reviews and (to a lesser extent) photography. Since I already have tons of gear, I prefer the second category. Here are a few of my favorites:

Black and White Magazine -- I have a perscrition, er, subscription to this one. It's actually aimed at collectors of photograhy, not specifically photographers, but it's still a great source for insprirational images. The printing quality is outstanding.

Ameican Photo -- I subscribe to this one, too. Some gear reviews, but they usually have decent interviews with the "hot" photographers.

Photo -- The French verison of American Photo. I can't read very much of it, but the photos are great. They usually have a few at the local Barnes and Noble.

Lenswork -- Nice little book, although the photos seems to be repetitive. How many dusty barns can one look at?

Camera Arts -- I buy one every now and then when the topics interest me.

<I>I guess I'm just old and jaded.</I> -- Al Kaplan<P>

Well jaded, anyway, a condition I myself confess to. This perhaps is why I subscribe only to Leica World (one of the best magazines ever, in my view). <P>

I used to subscribe to Shutterbug, and enjoyed it. My sub ended just as they downsized it - what a stupid mistake that was. The only things distinctive about Shutterbug were its classified ads . . . and its size. And the sad thing is, there isn't probably anything anyone on the mag's staff can do about the resizing.<P>

I admit that I regularly read Pop Photo, as well as its British cousins, but seldom actually buy any of them.<P>

I buy Leica Fotographie International whenever I see a new one at Borders. I should probably subscribe.<P>

I thought Black + White was Australian? Anyway, I like the format and they have some nice images - but it costs more than i ever care to spend for it, it seems.<P>

Whatever happened to Doubletake? I liked that one.<P>

The British mag Sleazenation has some interesting, inventive fashion shots, if you like fashion shooting.<P>

I wish that Aperture were as good as it used to be.<P>

Last but not least, I like the B&W photo mag called Shots, though I haven't yet subscribed.

• 2 weeks later...

I also subscribe to 'Black and White Photography' every month. I am English so it is easy for me to buy here from my local newsagent.

It is a superb publication and deserves to be read as widely as possible.

I used to get 'Amateur Photographer' but only a couple of articles that are interesting to me have appeared in the last year so I stopped buying it completely.

'Black and White Photography' also has a stablemate publication called 'Outdoor Photography' (by GMC - Guild of Master Craftsmen publications.) A friend, who buys this regularly, assures me it is excellent also.

I signed up for two free "trial" magazines from PHOTOgraphic...Didnt really like it, sent the bill in marked "cancel" and just got a collection notice in the mail...*sigh* So, they're not on my list!

At the moment I subscribe to National Geographic and Arizona Highways.. both of which have EXCELLENT photographs. I love them dearly. (www.arizonahighways.com)

I like Black and White photography..have to check into a subscription to that magazine, though I'm sure it's an arm and a leg considering I'm in the US...Hey Trevor want to send me your magazines as you're done reading them? :P