Monopod and MF- anyone use this extensively?

james_.1

OK, so I admit being a Leica M shooter and being intrigued by MF,

especially Hasselblad. One thing that turns me off a bit is the

impression I get that MF doesn't lend itself to handholdability too

well, and that it's best off on a tripod. So I see the point, if

one is going to bother with MF for high image quality, a tripod

maximizes this. Of course there are the TLR's and rangefinders et

al that eliminate mirror shake, but the lenses are relatively slow

compared to 35mm, and the point of ISO 100 is to yield finer grain

photos.

Anyway, under various lighting ranging from decent to somewhat poor

can someone get a really nice sharp photo with a monopod and MF such

as Hasselblad? Thanks for the input...

Yes. I've been quite successful with Mamiya 645 Pro, 150mm lens, and monopod. Very sharp images. (The bad news is that you still need to stop down to at least f/5.6 to get images that are as sharp as possible.)

My theory is a stiff monopod directly under the camera can squelch mirror shake better than a tripod, since there's no radial component to the force relative to the pod. With a tripod, I'd think you'd always want to lock up the mirror.

While it is a bit more awkward to use a Monopod at a wedding,

I've found it a wonderful way to improve MF candid work,

especially something like a Hasselblad with a 180/4 @ f/4.

Even when using flash, I try to use the monopod to enable me to

shoot with lower shutter speeds and a wide open lens to capture

more of the ambient light behind the subjects.

I often use a monopod with my ETRSi when I know I can't handhold, but I don't want the bulk and setup time of my Manfrotto 055. Sometimes I don't even lock up the mirror, but the mirror on a 6x4.5 is lighter than that on say a Pentax 67 II. And the Si has better mirror damping than previous models.

Now to my main point--a cable release with MF on a monopod is invaluable. With the monopod, there is a tendency for the camera to swivel slishtly about the monopod axis as the shutter button is depressed, as most MF SLRs have the release button in the lower corner camera, well off of the vertical axis. Without the vertical axis lock and stability of a tripod, the cable release is an excellent accessory to prevent this swiveling camera movement, when using a monopod.

I use a monopod quite often with my RZ ProII, and it makes a big difference in sharpness, especially if I'm shooting with just natural light.

It also lets me be more mobile than is practical with a tripod.

The monopod lets me handle the camera almost as though it were handheld, but takes the burden of the weight out of my hands (and with a motorized RZ and prism that is considerable).

I keep an Arca style quick release on the pod, and that allows me to switch from monopod, to tripod, to handholding very quickly and easily.

Hi James,

I hate to addmit this, but I have only recently discovered, that at age 56, and drinking about 6 cups of coffee per day, I NEED a monopod for just about anything I do. I run the gamut from a Minox 35 PE to a Rolleiflex 6003, often with a Variogon 75-150 monster zoom attached, and often try to go hand-held, somewhat successfully.

But, as I have tried to go large on some prints, the mini-blur of shake rears its head. So now, I have two (well, one enroute) Bogen/Manfotto monopods, (one heavy duty, the other carbon) and all I can say is that they work.

My toughest shoot was an unanticpated candle-lit diningroom request, with only one 120 roll of Fuji 800 film, my monopod and crossed fingers on my 6003 with the Variogon aboard. (I was actually covering an afternoon polo match and wound up thereafter, shooting the Swedish Polo Team at dinner.....) They came out adequate for publication, by bracing myself against the wall (I forgot that I had my remote release in my bag, but didn't really need it) and asking everyone to hold still for a few seconds.

In sum, I rely on them because of ME, more than the weight or mass of the camera of type of film. Sometimes, a dose of reality is unwelcome, but the correct answer.

Cheers,

Ray Hull

I use the monopod for my 503CW and the standard 80mm lens. Handheld the camera is no problem but the monopod offers more stability for the shooting. It is much more 'mobile' than a tripod, esp. for a heavy one. A monopod offers a good choice for snapshot. Of course, you still need a tripod for slow shutter speed.