Advantage of Hasselblad over TLR's?

lei_chen

I have an opportunity to purchase at a fair price a Hassy 500 outfit

with the 80/2.8 Plannar. Since I have shot MF with the latest

Japanese and Chinese TLR's, I was wondering if I would notice any

significant advantage using a Hasselblad.

Photography is only a hobby of mine. I don't really need (can't

afford) interchangable lens and backs. Will the advantage of Zeiss

optics be negated by the mirror movements? I envision myself mostly

doing hand-held shots and will probably not use mirror-lock-up.

I would appreciate anyone who has used both these systems to

comment. And maybe talk some sense into me before I plunge into

evermore expensive "systems" with exorbitant repair and maintenance

cost. All the talk about jamming scares me, a little. If I don't

use it to shoot hundreds of rolls as professionals do, would I still

be needing to service it?

Thanks in advance.

Good Grief!

The difference will be huge!

I think you should NOT buy the Hasselblad because when you see the difference in the results, you'll hate yourself for trying to make all those excuses.

The cost of repairing Hasselblads is no more than repairing Minolta Autocords, and if you're shooting as little as you say, I doubt maintenence costs will be a factor.

I went through this same thing...I just kept buying (and destroying) classic TLR cameras until all the local stores just ran out of them. My first shoot with Hasselblads left me in disgust, it was SO much better than any of those old 6x6 cameras. It was better than my Pentax 67 system too - I traded that in the following week.

So I say, avoid feelings of disgust and dissapointment with yourself, don't buy the Hasselblad.

Brian

<i>Since I have shot

MF with the latest Japanese and Chinese TLR's, I was wondering if I would notice any significant advantage

using a Hasselblad.</i><p>

I have used Yashica and Rollie TLRs before I got the Hasselblad. I switched because I needed interchandgeable backs and lenses. I have not done "side by side" comparisons (I sold my TLR to afford the SLR) but from having compared film, there is no obvious difference. The Zeiss lens might be sharper corner to corner at f2.8 than the Yashica at f3.5, but at f11 I can see little or no difference in enlargement.<p>

<i>Photography is only a hobby of mine. I don't really need (can't afford) interchangable lens and backs. Will

the advantage of Zeiss optics be negated by the mirror movements? I envision myself mostly doing hand-held

shots and will probably not use mirror-lock-up.</i><p>I think you have your answer right there. I found it much easier to take sharp pictures with confidence at 1/60th with no tripod with the TLR. With the SLR, I use a tripod and mirror pre release. I wish I could afford both -- the TLR ends up being about the same size but is MUCH lighter so it makes a better hiking and biking camera.<p><i>I would appreciate anyone who has used both these systems to comment. And maybe talk some sense into me before I plunge into evermore expensive "systems" with exorbitant repair and maintenance cost. All the talk about jamming scares me, a little. If I don't use it to shoot hundreds of rolls as professionals do, would I still be needing to service it?</i><p>I havent had trouble with the Hasselblad jamming, but if it were lost or stolen it would require a hefty sum to replace it --- that might be a good argument for the TLR. I think you can buy a good used Yashica for around $200. Also --- I have had some seals replaced on the Hasselblad film back -- no big deal. But the film wind gave out on the Yashica -- "can't be repaired at any price" I was told. I had to replace it, but since I had had the camera for over two years, didn't pay a lot for it and rand 100s of film through it before it died I guess that isn't so bad.

Lei - why not start from scratch and list all the things you need from your new camera system. Use something like <a href="http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/gindex.html">Danny Gonzalez MF reviews</a> and the archived threads on the MFD to check what systems offer what you need and choose on that basis.

<p>

If you want a cheap modern MF camera, with a great lens, and you don't need SLR, changeable backs and are happy with a fixed standard lens, I'd get the Fuji GW670III. I did!

Just to clarify, I already HAVE several TLR's including those from Yashica, Ricoh, and Seagull. I don't necessarily NEED another camera (with that my wife would heartily agree). I suppose I am seduced by the Hasselblad mystique and don't want to pass on a really good deal, while at the same time not wanting to spend more money later on...

Thank you all for your replies; they have been helpful.

Lei :

Ignore your wife! She is just jealous, like mine! If you can get a good deal on a Hassleblad, take it by all means. You will thank yourself later, and a whole lot too. Your wife will get over your indescretion with the Hasselblad in time, but you will have missed out on a great love affair. Go for it!

Marcus J.

Ahhh Yess! The Hasselblad mystique . . . that siren song calling you from afar! It says "stroke me, use me, make me yours!" Practicallity rarely enters into this realm. Buy the camera and get it out of your system! Love your wife extra, and you may survive! If not, the camera will continue on luring other photographers . . . ! "Honey, it's a terrific investment!" "Honey, it really brings out your beautiful eyes!" "Honey, I need therapy or this camera!" "Honey, I promise I'll never buy another camera!" If any of the above suggestions work, please let me know, and I'll forward them to my wife!

The only way to know is to buy it and use it for a while. If it turns out to be not for you then sell it. Simple! I recently bought a 503CXi and from the very second roll (I didn't know how to load the first roll) the thing got me hooked. But the 124G is no slouch either but at f/11. Enjoy life and make it up to your wife some other way (coming from a guy who keeps new equipment in the office).

<p>After researching my plunge into MF for almost a year, I convinced myself the

Hasselblad system was right for me (Polaroid proofing, easy access to rental

gear, LOTS of used equipment to choose from, etc.).  I also knew that if I

bought a Hasselblad, I wouldn't be able to make any more excuses (to myself)

about my camera not being up to the task. </p>

<p>However, my first photos taken with my new prized camera were nothing to take

note of.  They didn't look any different from something I would have taken

with my Canon EOS.  But using a Hasselblad eventually did wonders for my

photography.  How?  Well, to justify the expensive Hasselblad to my

wife, I figured I better start making better images or she'd say, "See, I

told you so!"  Results?  I slowed down, always scouted around for

good camera position, used a tripod every time, locked up the mirror, bracketed

exposures, etc.  Now I've got a few 20x24 enlargements hanging on my walls

from negatives taken with my Hasselblad and they truly are beautiful to

behold.  But the real bonus was my wife thinks the superior results are

from the more expensive camera, not technique!  This enables me to buy even

<i>MORE </i>Hasselblad stuff with little (OK ... less) argument!</p>

<p>I have done some side-by-side comparisons of my Hasselblad to my Canon EOS

and under certain lighting conditions, the Hasselblad glass <i>is</i> a

significant improvement over the Canon.  But I'm comparing Zeiss T* optics

to non-L Canon lenses.  Probably not a fair comparison, but it's what I

own.</p>

<p>When I want to shoot hand-held, it's usually for pictures of my kids and I

consistently get better images from my Canon, mostly because I can shoot more

spontaneously (auto-focus, auto fill-flash, auto-metering, etc.). </p>

<p>Forget about the jamming issue. Just make a habit out of <i> always</i> cocking the shutter before removing the lens. I've never had a problem with my Hassy jamming and I know several other photographers with the same results. 

Buy the Hasselblad.  For me, just using the Hasselblad equipment makes me

strive for the best results I can get and that makes all the difference in the

world. </p>

You don't need but you covet - OK. I moved to Hasselblad when I had some surplus and decided Hasselblad would always re-sell. I wanted and have acquired the backs and lenses for a system. Apart from that versatilty I could not claim any single shot is superior to what I took with my old Rolleicord. There are differences in handling which I like - I have had jams particularly using a doubler - with the Hasselblad you take off the back and get your penknife out- (not in the manual - find your own method half way up a mountain with the light changing ). That said - as the owner of an old Hassy and an EOS what am I printing up today for competition - mostly Olympus Muji compact shots. The camera is the tool - you make the pictures. Will the seller let you run a film through ? Ergonomics is everything in this decision. Don't panic - there'll be another Hasselblad along in a minute. Good Luck.

Hi, Lei! I own a Hasselblad 501C with three lenses, also a Rolleiflex 2.8E, so I can make some comparisons. If I only needed 80 mm and no close-up accessories, I think I would sell the Blad. Why? One: the Rollei is quiet and unobtrusive. Two: you can see your subject in the finder during, and after exposure. Three: you can hand-hold it(the R) for longer exposures due to the lack of vibrations. Four: it is substantially lighter to carry around. Sum: I feel more relaxed with the Rollei, and return with better pictures, contents-wise. Technical quality: the R Planar is slightly softer and much more flare-prone than the Blad one, but the softness is often more beautiful (I think that is what "bokeh" means). Regards

Most TLR's are complete and entire in themselves. Blads are not, they are elements in a system.

Buy a TLR and that's it, transaction over.

Buy a Blad, and you immediately start thinking how nice it would be to have an extra back for mono, a meter prism, a portrait lens, a heavier tripod, a wide angle, a bellows for macro work, a third back for faster film, etc. Before long, you own a cupboard full of the bladdy stuff, while domestic harmony and the bank account suffer.

I say, keep it simple, sell the japanese and chinese TLR's, and buy the real thing - Rolleiflex.

I one a Mamiya 220 and a 330, with three lenses. They make beautiful negatives and transparencies. If you go this route, buy the newer lenses. I have also shot about 10 rolls of B&W through a borrowed Rolliflex with f2.8 lens = incredible.

I also own a Hasselblad system. I love it.

I second the comments of the others regarding the pros and cons of each system. I bought the Hassies primarily because I wanted interchangeable backs and lenses. The lenses are definitely sharper than the Mamiya, but the 80 is no sharper at all, to my eye, than that on the Rolliflex. Hassy Jams happen if one gets in a hurry or otherwise careless, but they are easily cleared, especially if one has an "unjam tool", sold by B&H, and knows how to use it.

Having said all that, I would recommend for your stated uses, go with a Rolliflex.

Thank you all for some wonderful and humorous responses. Taking into consideration the majority opinion, I have decided to pass on the Hassy, for now. When I find the need for interchangeble lenses and backs (when I can afford them) maybe I shall be tempted again. For now I will use my "foot" zoom. Domestic harmony shall be restored.