550ex flash and battery pack

chito_baclig

Greetings all, I am about to buy my first battery pack for 550EX

flash. My search in this forum were all old.

Is this compatible with Quantum B 5, see link below. I already have

sent a question to the Quantum support and just waiting for an

answer. One question that is important to me is that do you

recommend third party battery packs?

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?

op=details&sid=1046140945530502&sku=QTB5

No. That battery pack is designed for certain digital cameras. You will need a Bantam, QB1+, QB1c, or one of their "turbo" packs, in addition to the adapter cord/module XKZ2 or MKZ2 or CZ (depending on which battery pack). See the following page on Quantum's website for a total flash compatibility chart.

http://www.qtm.com/battery/compatibility/canon.html

One more thing of note is the way the adapter cord works with the 550EX (and most other flashes). It does *NOT* plug into the same slot as Canon's Transistor Pack E (at the base of the flash). Rather, the flash terminal end of the adapter cord is a full "prototype" of the 6 batteries that fit in the flash with the large power cord connecting to the pack. (The Quantum unit mimics 6 AA batteries on steroids, insofar as the flash unit is concerned.) This means that you can't close the battery compartment door when using the quantum pack + adapter cord, since the large cord "sticks out". The part that inserts into the flash's battery compartment has a mechanism for "locking" the unit in place, so there's now worry about it falling out. Quantum provides some velcro "straps" to prevent the open battery compartment door from "flopping about", but it must still remain open. This is a little shocking at first, but I find no problem with this setup, after using it a while. The different adapter cords that quantum provides fit the various battery compartment "geometries" for all the different flashes that are supported (thus the need for a specific cord for a specific flash.) However, the near "limitless" power available from the lead-acid Quantum battery more than makes up for this clumsiness in the power cord adaptation.

It seems that some people (like me) just can't shut up. I meat "4 batteries on steroids". 4 AA at 1.5V each = 6V. You can make your own 6v lead-acid battery pack for less than $75 (including charger) from stuff off the web and from Radio Shack. I made one that I used for a while before getting a quantum. (The quantum has more bells and whistles, though.) I now use the home-made one as "backup". Email me if you want the details.

I have used the Quantum Turbo with a 550EX. Works great. Does full power recycles in 1.5 seconds or less & lasts all day long. It needs the CZ cord to plug into the flash's high voltage port.

The 6 volt battery packs (Quantum Battery 1+, etc.) don't recycle the flash nearly as fast. 5-6 seconds is my experience. Less than 1/2 second quicker than a good set of NiMH AAs. I don't think they are worth it.

Are you sure you need an external battery pack? Have you tried NiMH rechargeable AAs? They recycle the 550EX from a full-flash in 3-4 seconds. You can get 2000 mah Maha Powerex cells and chargers from Thomas Distributing. These batteries and charger are far cheaper than a Quantum Turbo. If these work ok for you, remember to carry spare batteries. Since they are rechargeable, there is only the initial cost.

Another approach if you feel you need an external power pack is the Canon Compact Battery Pack CP-E2. It is powered by 6 AA batteries. If you use 6 NiMH AAs in the power pack along with the 4 in the flash, which you will need even if you use an external pack, the 550EX will recycle in about 2 seconds. The CP-E2 is only about $120 US.

In any event, I would not recommend the Quantum battery pack or any similar one that does not connect directly to the 550EX connector.

Wow this is an amazing info. Okay, I do have rechargable batteries and 2 chargers but it takes 12 hours to charge 4 batt. Its either I upgrade to another brand of rechargable batteries or an external source. And I need at least 16 batts for 8 36roll films. I did the radio shack thing before to my new 420ex, boom lights out and the irony is I am also an Electrical engineer (shame). Good thing Canon fixed it without question since it is still under warranty.

Thank you all.

HI all,,, I've used the Canon Transistor pack that holds

6 "C" batts for over a year now. This works GREAT !. I've

shot many weddings with it, up to 12 rolls of 36 shots with

a FAST recycle time. Never had a problem. Never had to

"recharge" any batts, I just bring 6 xtra "C"'s with me. It's

CHEAP to use, no re-charging just throw away, no chargers to

keep track of. . . . . I love it!

Just thought I'd add this.

Thanks, Rod

I initially also tried the CP-E2 with 6-C NiMH batteries. There was one "catch", however. You still must have 4 AA's in the flash in order for it to work. I initially assumed that these 4-AA's just powered the "electronics" of the flash unit and that the capacitor was charged by the external unit. <b>NOT SO!</b> As I discovered the hard way (and as is stated in the 550EX documentation, if you read it carefully), power for the capacitor (recharge after flash) is drawn from <b>BOTH</b> the external unit (CP-E2) and the internal 4-AA's. (I consider this a 550EX design flaw by Canon.) Granted the 4-AA's will last longer than if they were the sole power source, but they will still discharge after about 4-6 rolls of film (YMMV), to the point where the flash will stop operating, completely. What I wanted was an external "central point source" for <b>ALL</b> flash-unit power that was large and robust and could sustain 10-15 rolls of shooting macro in the field. The CP-E2 doesn't fulfill this requirement. After switching to the Quantum (and my home-made system, as well), I now have a "central" source for all my flash power that I charge overnight and use all the next day without worry or having to carry a spare set of AA's. I no longer even fool with AA's at all, i.e., they are not part of my "kit".