And Kodak P3200 is now back

Dave Luttmann

thanks mark. i was reading about it on another forum, apug, ang there is talk about it actually being rated at iso 800 but can be pushed to 3200.

here is kodak blurb on it..... scroll down to it....

Kodak Alaris

also its only available in 35mm.

i never had a need for it, but sounds interesting.

btw what sort of shutter speeds do you think were used in those shots? looks like it was slow, out of focus in most examples.

The more you say, the less people listen.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I know those videos aren’t really a good way to assess the film, but that was the latest, quickest reference I could find. I expect those shots were hand held and there’s no way to tell how adept the guy was at holding at his selected shutter speed.The second video pointed out the 800 push thing. I plan to try some and see for myself. The home developing of the black and white is new to me.

id like to see some examples of what this film can do.

Lots of images out there by searching for TMax 3200 or TMZ, etc., but here are some of mine:

17773250942_6c1ff37b80_b.jpg

25301436560_afe33bb5c1_b.jpg

17735860094_fdc8f43b78_b.jpg

15812921771_9109f23810_b.jpg

And here is a link to the P3200 Flickr Group with more. This has always been one of my favorite films, having a distinct "look," which is why I would use it as opposed to just high-ISO digital. I was sad to see it go and I'm elated (already pre-ordered some) to see its return.

perhaps because the only examples are from 35mm format, they are so grainy.

here is tmy-400 120 645 rated at 1600. thats why i dont see any sense in reviving 3200 which kodak says is really an iso 800 film capable of 3200. i could have easily pushed one nore stop from my 400 film and still have less grain.

2010120404.thumb.JPG.a099af14641221324343c8ab3569b007.JPG

• Like 1

Nice shot Ron.

It's true you can push TMY to 3 stops, but the look, to me, of P3200 pushed to that level is different. Not only that, P3200 is designed to go farther to 6400 with standard developers, and all the way to EI 25,000 in TMax and XTOL developers.

From the Kodak datasheet, "Because of the shape of the characteristic curve of the film, you will obtain better shadow detail and highlight separation when you expose it at EI 3200 or 6400 than you can obtain with 400-speed films pushed by 3 stops." This is what sets it apart technically, but as far as aesthetics are concerned, it's the unique tonal and medium-coarse grain qualities of P3200 that I find pleasing.

interesting, thanks for the data sheet.

im looking forward to seeing what everyone does with this film.

on apug, one of the advertisers has a test roll fresh from kodak. hes going to try it and display some results soon.

more to follow.

Well, I just ordered 5 rolls. I also did 5 rolls of Delta 3200, which I've never shot, so I can make a side-by-side comparison.

Interestingly enough, I think the only time I bought any at retail I paid around $9.50 or $10 at the local camera store. This would have been 2006ish. That store(still in business) is always a dollar or two more expensive than B&H, but I find it interesting that for a "new" emulsion the price is not that different.

They "recommend" 3200, but the datasheet goes up to 6400 for a lot of common developers and as high as 25,000 for some.

TMZ has times up to 25,000.

As well as I knew it, the reason for discontinuing TMZ was that TMY worked well enough up to 3200:

http://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites/prod/files/files/products/f4043_TMax_400.pdf

(and in the same three developers that are used for pushing TMZ).

Most films will stay in "good enough" condition frozen, much longer than the printed date.

That seems not to be true for TMZ, so that could be a reason to bring it back.

I have some old TMZ that hasn't been stored frozen. It might work at EI 400, but otherwise has

a lot of fog.

-- glen

They say that using ISO conditions it rounds to 800.

Note, though, that there is a whole characteristic curve, not necessarily represented by a single number.

It is more obvious on the Ilford films that the curve doesn't follow the usual shape.

-- glen

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, finally I have some examples from my new order of P3200. All were from this past Saturday night, with a Yashica TL-E and a 35mm f/2.8 Auto Chinon lens, processed in HC-110B to ISO 6400 (8 minutes at 75 degrees).

41165836382_63231c6bc9_b.jpg

27336747768_bed48646cc_b.jpg

27336754668_842337fe12_b.jpg

It's so much nicer to use this film fresh, no base fogging as happens easily with TMZ; I have some that expired in 2014 and it's barely usable.

• Like 5

I used shutter speeds of either 1/30th or 1/60th, all handheld. Apertures were either wide open at f/2.8 or at f/4; the occasional bright floodlit buildings were 1/60th at f/5.6 tops.

These exposures were based mainly on prior experience in similar settings and developed to 6400 to cover the worst case. Even though initial scans showed a few seemingly blown-out highlights, they were easily reduced (with details coming out in PS elements).

Cheers, Allan

• Like 1

Thanks.

What speed film was the camera set for?

The reason I ask is I have read that the 3200 was 1600 and also read somewhere else it was 800 with the "3200" representing a push value.

ROCHESTER, N.Y. February 23, 2018 –Kodak Alaris announced today that it is bringing back KODAK PROFESSIONAL T-MAX P3200 Film / TMZ, a multi-speed panchromatic black-and-white negative film. While the nominal film speed of P3200 TMZ is ISO 800, the “P” means it’s designed to be push processed to EI 3200 or higher. This film excels when shooting in low light or when capturing fast action. It is ideally suited for handheld street scene photography, night work, and in dimly lit venues where you can’t use flash.

Kodak Alaris is bringing back T-Max P3200 high-speed B&W film

Edited by Moving On

I didn’t actually use a meter the other night, but I was exposing for situations that would call for EI 6400 (and developed accordingly) if I had one. I generally find that with this film the speed and aperture settings I used above work well in night time street and cityscapes scenarios.

It’s true, the film is nominally ISO 800 and is therefore pushed higher, but that’s what it’s really designed for, outperforming slower films pushed 3 stops (Tri-X, TMY) in shadow detail characteristics.

• Like 1