Black Enamel M4 from ELC

tony_salce

Tony. There were NO black enamel M4s made in Canada, but a number of black chrome M4s were made there. That SN you gave is not even for an M4 (my list has it as a CL). But if you meant SN 1382068, that is for a black chrome Canadian M4.

Eliot,

Thank you for your reply. I made a mistake. The serial number is 138 2068, which as you say makes it a black chrome M4 from Canada. Yet the camera is black enamel. Do you think it is authentic ? The seller( not a list memeber) wants $2000. It is in excellent plus condition.

It is obviously a repaint job. I wouldn't buy. A black chrome Canadian M4 is a fairly scarce and collectible camera, worth $ 3000 plus in nice condition. But I'm afraid its collectible value is destroyed by the repainting. That's me, I like everything completely original.

Tony,

A small number of M4's in black paint were produced in Midland Canada, and according to Stephen Gandy's list which you can find at www.cameraquest.com, SN1382068 is in that list. Also if you check the leica SN at the official Leica website, this SN is in fact a black paint M4. If it is authentic then it is a real bargain at $2000.

Tony,

I made a big mistake in the information above. In enquiring in the Leica website, the serial number quoted is in fact an M4 schwarz, which translates to M4 black chrome, and not black paint which will be schwar1.

Also Stephen Gandy's list for black M4 produced in Canada does not state it is black paint or black chrome, but elsewhere in his site, he mentioned that M4 were produced in black paint up to the time of M5 production. I believe this was around 1974.

My apologies for giving the wrong information, due to my misinterpretation of schwarz.

Tony Rocha. You do understand that the Gandy list that says 1382068 is in a batch of 550 black Canadian M4s is referring to black chrome M4s. ALL Canadian M4s were either silver chrome or black chrome. There were NO black paint Canafian M4s. At least no genuine ones. Black paint M4s were made until about 1971. This camera is from 1974, by which time black paint was no longer used.

I can assure you that your contention that this is an original BP Canadian M4 is WRONG. There is no such thing. Nor is there any such thing listed on any Leica camera list. None. Nada. Nil. Zilch. Zero.

Tony R. No problemo.

Tony S. Have you actually seen the camera. Some people mistakenly use the term "paint" for black (anodized) chrome cameras; so if you haven't seen it, it could be just a black chrome Canadian M4. In which case $ 2000 is quite a good price for an E+ example.

I'm not quite sure why anyone would take a black chrome camera and paint it, but there's a lot of strange stuff goiung on out there. :-)

It's a rather low asking price for a working condition E+ cosmetics origianl black anodized Canadian M4. It should, of course, be engraved Midland Canada on the top plate. If I had one, and if I wanted to sell, I would ask more money (at least $ 3000, maybe more, depending upon condition). You just have to make sure it is all original.