28 - 70 f2.8L UV Filter?

steve_pearce

Hi,

I have just taken the plunge and ordered a 28-70 2.8L lens.

My question after painfully forking out the cost is should I use a UV

filter to protect the front element? This is a lot of money to me

and I want to take care of this baby - on the other hand, I don't

want to degrade the performance and be wasting my hard earned cash.

I have seen a heliopan UV 77mm filter (not MC coated) for Euro 38 -

and a B+W for Euro 35 (not coated) or Euro 52 multi coated - does

anyone have any experience with these filters - is one of these a

decent choice? Any advice too about whether mutli coating is really

necessary??

Thanks!!

Funny you should bring this up. I don't normally use them but I've been using a B+W UV on a Leitz Sumicron for just the reason you state - front element protection. I didn't buy the filter seperately, it came with the lens.

I took a pretty normal street picture with this set up - just look at the flare! (sorry about the dirt but I've just scanned this quickly to show you)

Needless to say, I've taken the filter off.<div>004bnV-11590784.jpg.f8a98f8345ff889a68d71732166da362.jpg</div>

i no longer keep a protective filter on my lenses. i often use a polarizer, and i dont like stacking filters. i always use a lens hood, which makes it harder for something that might actually damage the front element to reach it.<p>

whether to use a protective filter is, to me, a matter of personal preference. some folks feel better with them, some dislike them. you should just do what will make you forget about your equipment while taking photos. i've never heard anyone comment "hey, that's a fantastic image, too bad you had a protective filter on."<p>

in the old days using the nikon system, i really liked Nikon filters. i use them now on my canon lenses when i need some extra protection from a known hazard, like salt spray. nikon filters are slim and coated. the B+W filters are noticeably beefier to me than the nikon filters. i have a heliopan circular polarizer which is a quality filter, but sometimes it's a little tough to remove; i dont know whether you'd have the same experience with a UV filter. enjoy the new lens.

I keep the multi-coated Hoya UV on my 24-70 L during street photography and take it off for landscapes or when shooting in direct sun/bright lights. I haven't noticed much difference in terms of picture quality with and without the filter. If you intend to use your lens for a long time and don't want the coating to wear down then it's best to protect it. Unfortunately B+W filters are way too expensive where I'm at so the Hoya will have to do for now.

Regardless of what brand you buy, you need to be aware of the wide angle (28mm)on your zoom lens. It will vignette with a "normal" filter. Look for the "slim" filters without front threads - most of the quality manufacturers have them in their line.

I would also recommend getting one MC if you have to have one. As for that example of flare - if you look at the source of light, I'm curious if it would have flared without the filter given it was pretty much a direct shot. Enjoy your new lens...

Hi. I used to think that UV filters are bad for the quality of the picture(perfectionist, you know). Manufactures spend 000,000 of $ on R&D to get the best quality for their lenses and you put a piece of glass in front of yours. Many of my friends were trying to convince me that I am not 100 % right, but I would not listen. Once we were shooting on mountain sights and a small but with great velocity piece of stone hit my 28-70L right into the center (I had my hood on). So, the repair cost me somewhere around $350(compared to $70 for B+W UV MRC). Since that time, I would put on UV when I go outside, but take it off when I soot inside. Finally, I got tired of putting on and taking it off and now I keep it all the time when I do not use other filters. Lately, we (me and some of my friends) made a test with 24-70L and B+W UV MRC. The bottom line is, there is NO NOTICEBLE difference when you shoot with or without uv filter! I would suggest you to go with B+W or Heliopan. Those are the best. And surely go with MRC! Believe me, it worth extra money.

By the way, Charles Shupe pointed out that you need slim version of the filter. I hate to say that, but he is WRONG. Filters are not tubes from the toilet paper. You need slim filter if you shoot with lenses shorter that 24 mm. As I said, I use B+W with my 24-70L and do not have any problems so far.

Regards,

Andrei

This is a religious issue. I was tought as a kid to always use a UV filter to protect the lens. Then I attended a couple of workshops and I was one of only two people using filters the first day (except for effects). That spawned a lot of debate and the second day we all took numerous shots with and without to see if we could identify the difference. Bottom-line: on Canon lenses a UV filter will create some flare if there's any bright light source in (or near) the frame. Even Helipan coatings seem to be inferior to Canon's L series coatings. However, you really have to be pretty picky to see the difference most of the time; it's usually a lessening of contrast most folks will never notice rather than a visible flare as in the example someone uploaded. If there's no bright light source then the filter causes no appreciable difference.

I still use filters frequently, but when time permits or the shot is important to me, I always try to take the filter off for a few exposures as well.

I have always used either UV or skylight filters (all lenses have the same filter at one time to avoid potencial differences when switching lenses thru a roll of film), and have hardly ever encountered any problems.

Currently the HOYA filters are supperb, specially the SHMC-PRO1 series, that are extra thin and you can stack them.

It is worth looking into them.

http://www.thkphoto.com/catalog/h/coatings.html

And by the way the 28~70mm f2.8L USM uses 72mm.