Tight fit for 35mm DX 1.8

michiel m

I bought an AF 35mm DX 1:1.8G for my D7100 and to my surprise, getting it on the camera is not completely effortless. it's a tight fit, I really have to apply some strength attaching it.

I checked the lens and camera and there are no scratches or signs of damage due to possible extra friction so in that sense all seems okay. The lens itself and it's af function work just fine.

To compare, I tried it on my D700 where it getting it on and off is a bit easier but alo on the fx it still feels more tight than 'usual'. My questions: does any one have experience with 'tight fit' lenses, and Is this normal for this lens (type)?

Any commens/insights are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I have some lenses that fit tighter than others; my AF-S 50mm f/1.8G initially had quite some resistance and is still a bit tighter than others. I've had the 35mm f/1.8DX in the past, and it too was rather snug fitting. It never caused me any issues, and the force needed to mount and unmount wasn't excessive, just a bit more than others.
  • Like 1

I have been using Nikon for 40 years, since 1977, and have used countless Nikon bodies and lenses. Every SLR body-lens coupling is very smooth. Unless your D7100 also has the same issue with other lenses, I would get that new 35mm/f1.8 lens replaced. It is probably best to find a couple more Nikon bodies and lenses to check different parings.
  • Like 1

I have been using Nikon for 40 years, since 1977, and have used countless Nikon bodies and lenses. Every SLR body-lens coupling is very smooth. Unless your D7100 also has the same issue with other lenses, I would get that new 35mm/f1.8 lens replaced. It is probably best to find a couple more Nikon bodies and lenses to check different parings.

All other body <-> lens combinations are smooth in attaching/detaching so I am sure it is the lens, replacing it is always an option of course :) Thank you for answering

Edited by michiel m

I have some lenses that fit tighter than others; my AF-S 50mm f/1.8G initially had quite some resistance and is still a bit tighter than others. I've had the 35mm f/1.8DX in the past, and it too was rather snug fitting. It never caused me any issues, and the force needed to mount and unmount wasn't excessive, just a bit more than others.

Ah I see, good to know it is not entirely uncommon dankjewel (dutch for thanks) Wouter

I've not noticed mine as being abnormally loose or tight on any camera bodies, although I don't have either of the bodies you mention.

Thanks Ben, yes, this lens is the first and only instance for me, hence my post. Thx for replying.

It may be the D7100 in part. I note that mine fits some lenses tighter and with less smoothness than other cameras, including the D3200, do. There's nothing visible.

That's an interesting observation, it sounds as though it never became a real problem for either your lens or your camera which is a bit of a relief to know :) Thank you Matthew