Seeking commentary on Wisner 5x7 pocket expedition

stevewillard

I tried a 4x5 Pocket Expedition for a few months. I found the front controls too fussy, the knows too small, and while the rising front lensboard was very useful, it was difficult to control and lock and unlock. HOWEVER, when weight is a factor the Pocket Expedition wins: in 5x7 the weight is about half of the Tech Field. So if you're carrying it far from the car, the compromises in the Pocket Expedition might be OK.

Get a canham metal 5x7. More movements, just as light, more durable, and you can actually have one now. Ordering a camera from Wisner is a recipe for ulcers. Check out wisner posts on photo.net for a full accounting of what you may be getting into.

C

I would second what Clay just said about delivery and customer protection. Until you have the camera in your hands, it cannot make images for you. As personal preferences go, if a Wisner works for you great. I would make one serious recommendation if you go this direction. Call Floyd at Quality Camera and order it through them. The costs will be the same and when I talked to him about this option recently, I only had to put down a deposit and he said that he would insure that worksmanship was up to par before he requested the final payment and shipped the camera. I ended up getting a used Wisner from Midwest and solved my problem, but there is a lot to say about inventory that is available immediately ie. the Canham.

You need to decide the level of patience you are willing to undertake as a Wisner will very likely require a considerable amount of it.

Good shooting!

This thread stimulated me to find the old post. Here is the url:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003FGz

Pay particular attention to the last post in this thread. My own experience with Wisner was not the greatest either. He still owes me a film holder that he charged me for a year ago! You may well have to threaten to get the Mass. Attorney General's office to get involved before you get what you need. Caveat emptor.

Clay

I have the 5x7 metal Canham. I have my quibbles with it but would choose it any day over a Wisner. Keith Canham is a fine person with a good reputation. His cameras work and are readily available. Listen to what the other posters say about Ron Wisner. He does not have a good reputation in the photo world. One added bonus with the Canham 5x7 is the Canham 6x17 roll film back that Keith just came out with.