Is my lens useless ? Nikon J3

chesterjamie

HI

I'm not a great photographer so please excuse the limited description of my equipment and problem!

I have a Nikon J3 camera which has 2 lenses. The zoom lens (longer of the 2) works absolutely fine. However, the smaller standard lens has stopped working properly. I can only seem to get it to work on things that are in bright light. When I twist the lens it just goes black. sometimes the flash pops up. It only shows a pic on the screen when I am on the '30' on the lens selector..

I have had this camera whilst we lived in Singapore which is one of the most humid places on the planet - I have heard that humidity can affect cameras and wonder if this is what happened.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jo

I'm guessing you have the 2 zoom-lens kit. The 10-30mm and the 30-110mm and you're having issues with the smaller. I don't quite understand the 'smaller standard lens' and the reference to '30'. They're both zoom lenses, right? Otherwise there is no '30' that isn't on a zoom lens!

There was a known fault with the 10-30mm (non PD) zoom. I can't remember what the symptoms were, other than 'not proper communication', but more importantly there was a free 'We'll fix it' product recall. Can be found here..

Service Advisory

I had one of mine fixed (Nikon UK) and returned in 4 days. Impressed was I:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They gave it a turn around time of 1 day, nice ! Unfortunately they put the wrong zip code on the UPS package. Must be copying by hand from the web form I submitted.

Anyway it still works good and they put a black dot on the back of the lens but not where others say it should be.