Polarizer filter...screw on or cokin P holder?

robin_worgull1

I'm trying to decide which polarizer to get. I've been told the Cokin

one for their holder is actually pretty good, but then I'd be stuck

having to use the holder everytime I use the filter. If I go with

screw-on, putting the holder on will add even more of a chance of

vignetting, but allow me to use the filter without the holder.

I'd be using this with both a Kowa 66 and a 55mm as the widest and a

Nikon F3 with a 28mm as the current widest.

Since this is a hobby, I don't want to have to buy 2 filters, just in

case...

If you want to use other filters, get the Cokin P cause it is very easy to change filters and use many filters at the same time than scrw out and in a filter each time.

If you want only to use the polarizer filter, you have to consider to get the screw in one cause it wont take much place. I dont have vignetting problem when using the screw in polarizer alone on the 28-105 at 28 mm.

The price of the Cokin P polarizer would be something equivalent to the 2 screw in filters ( as i remeber)

I presume the 55mm Kowa lens has a filter size of about 72-77mm. Right? Cokin can accept up to 77mm unless you go to XP. You most definitely have to worry about vignetting on both lenses with this holder. You may get by with cutting the front part of the holder off (ie. hold max 2 filters on the holder), but have to experiment.

A Cokin polarizer at about $25-$35 does not have nearly as good a glass as does a Heliopan, B+W or Singhray. You're shooting with Kowa because you want excellent outputs, so why degrade the picture with a low-grade filter? The 3" square filter and the holder (and hood, if you elect to buy one) is a lot harder to carry than is a single screw-on filter. My Cokins tend to always stay back in the car.

Well, I guess "ya gets what ya pays for". I bought the Cokin P polarizer, and was very dissatisfied with the optical quality...low-grade plastic. What you can do, however, is buy the Cokin P holder, and then use the Tiffen glass filters that are available. I'm not sure a polarizer is available, but I do know that the Tiffen ND-grads are.

TH

It's not a huge deal. If you were talking about ND grads I'd be suggesting vociferously that you leave the Cokin and get a product that might even be actually neutral. But frankly the Cokin polariser's not too bad, and there won't be a big difference in vignetting between a screw-in and a Cokin, especially if you cut the front slot off.

It's more a question of ergonomics than principle. On balance I'd probably rather adjust a screw-in to the exact degree of polarisation I want than a Cokin.

I use the cokin filter P holder for a few filters. For my polarizing I use a standard screw mount B&W. I got the largest size I thought I would ever need 77mm and purchased step up rings for my other lenses. The step ups cost less the $10 and allow me to use a good quality filter with all my lenses.

I'm going to put my 2 cents in here... I have to agree with Steve above, B+W's

are a filter system you won't be dissatisfied with. Being this is a hobby for you,

it still makes sense to not put a piece of plastic or inferior glass on a lens with

good optics. Look at the lens line your going to invest in and buy the largest

filter that will accomadate all your lens. Reducing rings won't cause vignetting,

at least they have never for me, and they are alot cheaper and less hassle

than buying several of the same filters. B+W makes a slim line for wide angles

but I have 67mm filters that fit my Bronica's, Linhof and adapters that work on

my Pentax 35mm. Just buy the rings and leave them on the appropriate lens

and it is a quick transition...

Hi Robin,

I use screw-in B+W polarizer and 81b warming filter with a rubber hood with threads on the inside. These are my high use filters.

Previously I used the Cokin polarizer and hated it. It has a color cast to it and is difficult to rotate when using with grads.

Occassionally I use a Singh ND grad or a Tiffen orange grad. I use a Cokin with a hood then.

For speed, I leave the rubber hood, and cp or 81b on and just add the Cokin holder for the grads.

I bought it all used on ebay to keep the cost down.

Use step-up rings to avoid vignetting.

Mike

• 1 month later...

The best thing to do is buy a screw in linear polariser and use the Cokin P mount ontop of that. This is what I do and all my other filters get rotated in the P mount with the natural turn of the polariser. This gets a little tricky when you are using grads but it's easily fixed. After turning the polariser to where I want it I just hold my finger lightly on the turning ring to stop it moving while I align the grad in the Cokin mount. I never liked the look or the idea of the Cokin Polariser anyway.

Simon

• 5 years later...

Not to ambush this thread but it seems that Simon answered a question I had - do I understand you correctly Simon that when using a screw in polariser the Cokin filter holder is able to rotate easily when rotating the polariser?

I have been thinking of buying a screw in polariser and then fitting the Cokin filter holder on top. Have you found any problems with vignetting?