Storing/Cataloging 6x7s

ben_hutcherson

I've been a dyed-in-the-wool 6x6 shooter for years, but I've just recently dipped my toes into the 6x7 waters with the RB system.

Most all of my work in all formats is in 3 ring binders in Print File archival pages. For the time being, the MF pages I've using hold four strips of film, which of course is 4 strips of 3 6x6s. I've also used the 3 strip pages which I prefer-I just got a good deal on the 4-strip ones :)

A little number crunching leaves me with a bit of a problem on 6x7s, though. 10 frames won't divide evenly into three or four, so the only easy solution I see is to spread one roll out over two pages.

Does anyone have any alternate suggestions on how they handle 6x7s? I know this is a pretty trivial thing, but at the same time I like having at least a sort of logical catalog system so that I can locate a transparency/negative without TOO much hunting.

I feel your pain--when I shot a lot of 6x7 I wound up filing them across 2 sheets, but when I shot a number of rolls on the same job I would file the extras in one sheet for the other rolls of film that I shot. You might want to accumulate the extra frames that way for contact printing.

• 3 weeks later...

Print File Archival Storage Page for Negatives, 6x7cm - 020-0200

oversized binders | B&H Photo Video

"Printfile" has oversized pages (O/S) which will hold 4 strips of 3 6x7 negatives. Other versions will hold 7 strips of 6 35 mm negatives (O/S) or 4 steps of 3 6x6 negatives (STD). Oversized binders are available on line or at Office Max and others.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

Print File Archival Storage Page for Negatives, 6x7cm - 020-0200

oversized binders | B&H Photo Video

"Printfile" has oversized pages (O/S) which will hold 4 strips of 3 6x7 negatives. Other versions will hold 7 strips of 6 35 mm negatives (O/S) or 4 steps of 3 6x6 negatives (STD). Oversized binders are available on line or at Office Max and others.

Thanks-I actually have some of both in my shopping cart at B&H. I just need to wait for payday :) . I could go ahead and order them, but don't have an unmanageable amount of 6x7s at this point(and all are still uncut/sleeved) so I'll wait until I can afford to pile some other stuff on my order.

My 120 and 35mm Tri-X stash is getting uncomfortably low, I'm all out of C-41 in 120(I like to at least keep some on hand, and have yet to shoot any 120 Ektar) and I'm really itching to try some of the Ilford ortho film...my experience with some ancient Kodak Graphic Arts film has been...less than satisfactory. While I'm at it, I should toss in some some Rollei IR film(or maybe try the Ilford stuff).

My 120 and 35mm Tri-X stash is getting uncomfortably low, I'm all out of C-41 in 120(I like to at least keep some on hand, and have yet to shoot any 120 Ektar) and I'm really itching to try some of the Ilford ortho film...my experience with some ancient Kodak Graphic Arts film has been...less than satisfactory. While I'm at it, I should toss in some some Rollei IR film(or maybe try the Ilford stuff).

Ben,

Slightly off topic; here is a shot I recently took on 120 Ektar. Being new at medium format and a novice overall, any feedback is welcome. The color that day was as vivid as what the 78889078_55570002a.thumb.jpg.f1e2626afc09788af934d9472cc51b75.jpg Ektar captured. Hope you get to try some soon and you can share your results and thoughts.

Andy

Andy great image. I am a fan of Ektar. Did you scan the negative? If so I'm interested to know how you handled the orange/red film mask.

Truth be told, I sent the film to a lab in NYC who developed it and did the scans. I selected the middle range scanning solution for this roll so I am almost positive the scan was a relatively simple process and nothing like a drum scan. I am so ignorant of the process they use that I don't even know what device they used to do the scanning. I am planning a trip into NYC to visit them soon so I can have a better understanding of what they do and what services are available.

Andy, I like the colors I see in the shot. They are punchy but at the same time not over the top like my beloved Velvia. Even though I shoot a ton of Velvia, IMO what you showed would not have been a good use for it while it looks great on the Ektar. I've used it some in 35mm, and it reminds me a lot of the now discontinued 400UC that I loved.

As for scanning color negatives-the software that comes with any scanner capable of scanning negatives as well as any 3rd party software will invert the colors and deal with the orange mask with no issue. You won't even see it on the screen unless you tell the scan software that you're scanning a slide.

With that said, one of the issues with C-41 has always been that there's no standard for the exact color and intensity of the mask. Nikon Scan and Epson Scan do a good job handling it automatically. Vuescan has profiles for a lot of Kodak and Fuji films, but they are drastically outdated(great for scanning old negatives, not so great if you're shooting modern emulsions). It also does well on "generic" settings. With that said, I find that selecting an older Kodak profile for a film similar to the one I'm scanning will generally get me pretty darn close.