Panoramic Head and Hasselblad

paulrumohr

I'd like to do panoramas with my hassy by taking multiple shots, scanning them, and stitching them together in the computer.

All the pano heads I've seen from Kaidan, Bogen, and Peace River have L shaped brackets or elbows to facilitate the use of rectangular cameras with prisms.

Last time I checked, my Hasselblad was still shooting square pictures, so I thought it might be a little dorky to have to turn my camera sideways to get a square. I also use a waist level finder that wouldn't help much with framing a panoramic shot if the camera was on its side.

It would seem to me that the hassy is naturally set up nicely for a panoramic head designed without having to turn the camera. You can use a WL at a comfortable height and just comfortably spin through a shot when everything is level.

But what head should I use? Any ideas? All I see is L brackets and more L brackets!

Hasselblad publishes where the nodal points in their lenses are are on their tech sheets. I was thinking about jury-rigging something to use from Home Depot parts to get the nodal point directly over the center column of my tripod and just using the pan function on my pan and tilt head to rotate the camera through the panoramic.

The only problem is I am extremely inadequate when it comes to little machining projects like this. Can anyone a little more engineering minded sketch out a shopping list of what I might need to do this?

I am hoping to find a simple, elegant solution to my quandry. I sent emails to US Hasselblad, Kaidan and Bogen this morning, and so far no responses. How do they do this over there in Europe?

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I now channel the mighty knowledge of Kornelius and Q.G. de Bakker......

If you had a head that used Arcaswiss style plates, you could use a long lens plate on the bottom of your Hassy and slide it front to back in the quick release clamp to position the nodal point of the lens. Once you have it positioned correctly you could scribe a small line on the plate as a permanante reference point.