Using Vivitar 285hv Flash...

aim rollphoto805

OK, so this isn't neccessarily a Canon EOS only question, but this

is the board that I most often check, and you guys are very helpful.

Here's my problem::

I've got a Vivitar 285hv flash, which all of you know is a manual

flash...I am confused as to how to use it. I've read the manual,

looked online for any help on deciding what settings i should use

for certain times, and distance for proper exposing, but i can't

seem to get it right.

I've taken a few very well, and evenly exposed shots with it, but

i've also gotten overexposed and underexposed pictures....so

basically i'm almost guessing every time I use it.

I was hoping maybe some of you knew a site that could help explain

this to me, or maybe if one of you wouldn't mind, it would be great

if you would inform me.

Thanks again for your time.

Nick

The Vivitar 285HV is actually a manual and auto flash. Do you have problems using it as a manual flash or as an auto flash?

If you use it as an manual flash, make sure you make some test shots to compare with the factory provided GNs at the three zoom head settings. Also, make sure you wait a couple seconds after you get the orange/red ready light since the flash is only about 75% charged when the ready light is on after firing.

If you use auto settings, read the instructions carefully and make sure you know how to interpret the distance flash calculator on the flash. Set the ISO that match the film, see the auto-thyristor to one of the color settings. The calculator will tell you the distance range at a particular f stop. The flash will give you a green light if a correct exposure is achieved. However, you will also get the green light for overexposure if you get too close to the subject.

I'm trying to learn to shoot it manually, and sometimes i'm lucky enough to get decent photos. My main lens is a 50mm/1.8, so i set the zoom head to Norm. After that I get stuck on what to do, so i just set the film speed and shoot....is that right?

Here are a couple skating pictures that I took....the first is properly exposed, while the second is, well--not.<div>004XHY-11407184.JPG.cab17c8372f740d8e972bb33f45de396.JPG</div>

• 6 years later...

<p>Please forgive my ignorance here, but what is the difference between a Vivitar 285, and a Vivitar 285 HV? My guess is that the "HV" refers to high voltage, and if that is the case, what are the types of applications and cameras and systems of the HV version? I am considering picking up a 285, but I wanted to find out what the difference is and if it would work with my Canon A series cameras as well as my Canon FTB and EF (manual focus camera)? Thank you so much for your time and assistance.<br>

Pat<br>

patc@everestkc.net</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>To respond to "what is the difference between a Vivitar 285, and a Vivitar 285 HV? My guess is that the "HV" refers to high voltage, and if that is the case, what are the types of applications and cameras and systems of the HV version?"</p>

<p>The "HV" version gives you the option of using the high voltage power packs...for instance the 200v AC adapter. It makes charging the 285HV faster (from full discharge 4 second recharge vs. 10 seconds for battery only). Other than speeding up the recharge cycle (and being tethered to a wall outlet) there's no difference in operating it. I have multiple 285HVs and a 200v AC adapter for each of them. Note you still need the AA batteries for the flash circuit to work properly, but it only uses the high voltage supply to recharge the flash. Personally I use these on light stands so being tethered to a wall outlet is not an issue.</p>