flash, the BP-50 battery pack, and Bogen 3011/3030 pan head tripod

combo. I've gotten pretty comfortable with this set-up, but now I

have a dillema. My wife and I will be taking a road trip in June,

through the Western US (Arches, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Glacier,

Yellowstone). I would like to know what additional equipment will I

need to get good landscape pictures, and what telephoto lenses to get

for birds photography? I was thinking about Canon 100-300mm IS, but

it seems a bit short for bird. Should I go for 400mm? I only have

about $500-600 to spend on the lens. Also, any filters?

Thanks for any help,

Chris Kmiec

Dear Chris,

I think you mean the Canon 75-300IS lens as there is no 100-300IS. You surely cannot afford the 100-400L IS as it is $1699.00 at B&H. With a budget of $500/$600, you have to decide if you want to get a wider angle lens (such as Canon's 20-35 3.5 to 4.5 USM, around $400) or you could afford either the 75-300IS or the 100-300USM. I have the 75-300IS and it is a nice lens, but is has some limitations. It will not be long enough or fast enough for bird photography. It should suffice, however, for some of the larger mammals at Yellowstone. It is also a bit soft at the extreme 300mm range(which is why I upgraded to the 300f4L IS lens), the front barrel rotates(making it more difficult to use with filters), and it seems to hunt for focus too much. I often find myself switching to manual focus when I use it. Having said that, however, it does have the IS feature which I find to be invaluable at times. It is also nice and sharp(if stopped down a bit) from 75-200/250. The 100-300USM is also a nice lens. Optically it is about the same as the 75-300IS, however, the front barrel does not rotate when focusing making it easier to use with filters, and it focuses faster.

With a your budget, the only 400mm lens you could afford is the Tokina A-TX APO. I believe it is around $400-$450 range. I don't know if it is compatible with the ElanIIe body(has anyone tried this lens on an ElanIIe?). The Sigma 400mm APO Macro HSM sells for $799-$899(Has anyone noticed that Sigma has raised prices on almost all their lenses?). I have no experience with either of these lenses, but several users seem to be very happy with their Sigma's.

The one thing I AM certain about, is that you are going to have a wonderful time and see some of the most incredible landscape there is.

Good luck and enjoy your trip,

Sam

Oops! I forgot the filters part. Polarizer is a MUST. Graduated ND also. 81a or b warming will also come in handy. You may also want to consider a strong ND filter to use when taking shots of all the rivers, streams and waterfalls(for that "gaseous" effect).

A wide-angle lens such as a 24mm or a 20-35 zoom will be very useful in all of those parks if you are interested in landscape photography. However, you can probably get by with the 28mm end of your current zoom. In Yellowstone, there will be plenty of opportunities for wildlife photography where a longer lens such as a 100-300mm will be useful.

You'll need at least a 400mm for birds in general, but even that will be too short in most cases. Bird photography demands heavy and expensive equipment. That topic has been discussed many times.

Your 28-135 is fine for the wide end, until you decide if you want a more dramatic "wide-angle" look. Sounds like the 100-300/5.6L would make a nice addition to your setup for about $450 (KEH.com), used. It will be too short for most bird shooting, but is very good glass for the money, and a handy zoom range. Very good range for people and large mammals encountered in National Parks. You can always trade-up later.

Filters: 81a or 81b, and polarizer to start. Buy the best brand that you can afford.

This would make a nice starting system. You can upgrade later as your interest and/or $$$ increases.

Good luck

Thanks to everybody for responding. And yes, the Flash is 380EX, and the IS zoom is 75-300mm...

I have done some more research on the Canon 75-300mm zooms, and it doesn't seem like anybody likes them. The new 100-300mm is better quality, and the 100-300/5.6L seems like the best bet for the money/image quality. But what about the Sigma 170-500mm? I've read a lot of very oposing views of that lens. If it is worth the $700, I can return my 380EX and buy it.

Thanks again,

Chris Kmiec

Chris - If you live near a place that rents lenses, you might want to

consider renting a 400 2.8 just for your trip. You might even find a

place that would rent a 400 5.6 at a very reasonable price if they

have one on their shelf. If you really want to buy, I'd check out

purchasing a Tokina or Sigma 400. They're available used in the $300

range. Have fun!

Just out of experience: Your lens will never be "long" enough when it comes down to birds. Over the 400 mm border it is getting unaffordable for hobbiests, but as the others stated it is the minimum you need for birds. I have a 28-105 and 80-400 mm AF zoom set and 24 & 50 mm AF fix focus lenses for travel work. The 80-400 is super for larger game as in Yellowstone and OK when I can get close to larger birds (e.g. egret), but too short for longer distances and often too slow (AF and film speed) at low light.

For Canon you should buy only HSM or USM lenses to have the maximum focussing speed, a non-HSM Sigma and the Tokina will probably drive you nuts...

My dream combo would be 300mm f 2.8 with matching 1.4x & 2x converters.

May THE LIGHT be with you,

Chris - Considering your budget and existing equipment, I recommend buying a Tokina or Sigma 400mm 5.6 lens. A 400mm lens will always be a bit short for songbird photography, but you will be very happy with it for general wildlife photography (of course, you'll always wish you had a bigger lens, but...). The quality of the Sigma and Tokina lenses is exceptional for the price. If $500 to $600 is a bit under the current cost of a new Tokina or Sigma, consider buying a well-maintained used lens. If you in an area where renting is an option, you might want to consider that as well.

The 28-135 IS len is fantastic for a general lens. I own a 24mm Canon lens also, but I find myself using the 28-135 for a lot of landscape work.

I agree with the advice on filters. For about $100, you could consider buying a set of Kenko extension tubes if you are interested in any macro work - they will work well on any lens.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi Chris, sounds like a great trip. I would recommend the purchasing the best longer lens of 300 or 400mm that you can afford with your budget. A 300 f4 will give you an extra stop of light and the 400 f5.6 will give you the extra 100mm. Or if you're really daring go for the Canon 200 2.8 as great fast lens and work the marginal light, you'll have that as a lifetime keeper.

My answer is based on the fact you already own the 28-135IS that I also have. It takes 72mm filters. My experience out West was that the 28mm was not wide enough for the grand vistas. Canon's 20mm would greatly expand your horizens and it too is 72mm. I would recomend a warming circular polarizing filter, Hoya just introduced them at a reasonable price.

Mike Dziak

Chris, I took a three week trip thru N. Cal. last Oct-Nov, with a Canon A2, Elan IIe, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 IS, and 170-500 Sigma. All the lenses performed well, the 28-135 was fantastic, and it was used in probably 70% of my 2000+ shots. I didn't miss having more wide angle capability, though that's more my choice of subject matter than an objective pronunciemento, and I really appreciated the reach the 170-500 gave me. For birds, even a 1200mm is not enough for all!!! the shots you want. The Sigma does appear a bit soft at the 500mm end, but that's a failing of all zooms that I've heard of or used. To me it's a question of getting a decent shot versus none at all: I'll take "decent" any day. Polarizing filter a must, 81A/B extremely helpful (lot of blue in that skylight out there, especially at the higher elevations), cable release, and as much film as you can afford/carry. You will love it out there, I ga-rawn-tee.

My style of photography would suggest the 20-35 or a fixed 20 rather than the long lens, but my style may well be different from yours.

Definitely get a polarizer. Will you also be shooting in black and white? If so, yellow and red filters are a must. A graduated neutral density filter may be handy if you shoot a lot of chrome film.

Don't forget to cross the Canadian border when you're at Glacier and visit Waterton Lakes National Park...