john_holcomb

Hi all,

I want a rig to take to the horse races to shoot with while I am

with friends, and generally following the action. I have an F3 with

several prime lenses, but this outfit is way too big and heavy for

my purposes.

This will be my first AF SLR. My inclination is to go with a N80 and

Nikon 75-300 zoom. Is this a good choice or do I need to look at

getting an N90 or F100? Any other compact zooms I should consider?

Thanks.

If you avoid the 80 and go with the 90s or 100 you'll get better 'play' out of your existing prime lenses. The 80 can't meter with them. You may not currently intend to mix the two systems (MF and AF) but with a little care it's one of Nikon's greatest features. The 70-300 AF-D ED is a pretty good performer, particularly for the application you describe. It's a little soft at 300mm wide open, but will still turn out pretty good 4x6 prints. Avoid the 'G' lens as it won't work on your F3.

Even when shooting at the rail, I've had better results using a long lens and shooting before the horses get too close. I used an 80-200 and a 400. The 400 was better I think. I've found it harder to wait until they're closer, because they're coming past at maybe 40-45 mph. Of course that might just be my lack of technique! I don't usually shoot stuff that is moving that fast.

If you want the best autofocus performance (and you'll need it to track those horses) the F100 will be superior to an N80 or N90.

Rather than shoot from afar with a VERY LONG lens, I myself would prefer to wait until they get closer and shoot with a VERY FAST AF. Having said that, there is obviously NONE FASTER ON THE PLANET than the F5 (or the D1X if you shoot digital) -- for a lens, you guessed it -- 80-200mm AF-D (4th version with the tripod collar) or the 80-200mm AF-S. I grant you that this won't be a lightweight rig, but a monopod might help.

<i>

. . . I don't usually shoot stuff that is moving that fast. If you want the best autofocus performance (and you'll

need it to track those horses) the F100 will be superior to an N80 or N90. . .</i>

<p>

FWIW, I have much experience with the N90s and the F100, and I've handled the N80 though not shot much with it. IMO, the N90s is no slouch in the AF department, and is 'pretty close' to the F100 in focus speed. The N80 is a noticable step back. All three benefit from lens speed; an 80-200 f/2.8 is pretty snappy, the 70-300 f/4-5.6 is less so.

<p>

I don't have a lot of experience with horse racing, but I think your biggest AF challenge will be picking a target that you have a clear view of that has some contrast. Racing silks? No problem. If you try to AF on a mass of dark-colored horse, you might not get a lock. (I sometimes shoot my greyhounds running; the AF 'loves' the blond one, has a hell of a time with the black one.) Also, if the horse you want is alternately obscured by 'traffic', you'll have a problem.

I'ld choose the F100 if you want to keep up with the focusing and I'ld also expect to shoot while the horses are further away. The closer to infinity they are on the focus ring the easier it is for the camera to track them. The 80-400 ED VR might be an ok alternative. The focusing is slower than a 80-200 f2.8 but reaches out further and has VR. A fixed 300 or 400mm f4 or 5.6 might also be alright. You just need to find a system that works for you.