warrenlewis

On the #4 Acme Synchro Ilex brand 10" 6.3 lens is a small "control

panel". It has, from left to right and top to bottom, M, F, X, then

in the middle, Blu, Wh, Red and then a lever that sweeps the entire

range. Just under the Red is a small wheel with a dot of each of the

3 colors on it, and below that is a male plug end, 2 round terminals,

3/8" high and 1/4" or so apart. My instinct tells me it's flash

related. How can I find out more?? Thanks....Warren

The "Blu, Wh, Red" refer to the dot you set the wheel to to get the sync setting right next to it. Red should be "0" delay or X-sync, but it should be obvious from what is printed on the shutter.

If you have a lever in the vicinity of that wheel (separate from the main lever to cock the shutter, unless the shutter is self-cocking), that lever needs to be cocked for the flash sync to work, unless you are looking at the aperture lever that might just extend beyond the aperture. Look at the back of the lens and move the lever. If the aperture changes, it's the aperture lever and has nothing to do with shutter operation or sync.

The two terminals are "bipole" sync terminals for flash. To connect your strobes, you can get a Paramount cord with bipole at one end and whatever your flash uses at the other end (PC, household, Metz, etc.). If you use a strobe unit that uses a household (two-blade) style sync, an ordinary shaver cord will connect bipole sync to household (you can tell these things were designed by guys).