SRT-101 Back Does Not Open

danny_weiss2

<p>I have a Minolta SRT-101 that I finally want to start using it again, but have the following problem: when I try to pull up the film winder knob in order to open the camera back and load film, the knob will not move. I do not want to apply too much force or use tools to pull or pry it up, so I was wondering if anyone else has faced this issue and can offer a solution?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>-Danny.</p>

<p>There is a bit of resistance when I pull mine up. I guess there's something like a spring engaging with a groove in the shaft, to stop it coming up accidentally. Perhaps run a little WD40 or similar down the shaft and leave it overnight? My guess is if you then apply a little more force it will release without breaking anything.</p>

<p>You are right, you need to get it open and wedge something between the prongs of the shaft to unscrew the handle assembly. However I would be surprised if you can't see enough of the head of the shaft by folding the handle up, to get a couple of drops in. I don't think there is anything near there which might be affected by lubricant.</p>

<p>There's definitely a catch down the shaft which gives rise to the resistance in pulling it up. I guess its seized over time and through lack of use.</p>

<p>I have had a little success, but it is still very difficult to open the camera. I have tried lubricating it from the top down, from the bottom (within the camera), and the slide mechanism on the side. The end result is that it can be opened, but still requires an unusual amount of force to do so. </p>

<p>Any other ideas?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>-Danny.</p>