Minolta Maxxum 7D Auto Focusing Problem

wayne_carpenter1

<p>I have a Minolta Maxxum 7D that recently started having an auto focusing problem where it will usually try to focus but won't let me take a picture. I finally found that if I reset the custom settings, then it will work OK, I believe, until I turn it off. Sometimes, it acts a little strange also, where if I take a picture with flash, like yesterday, I get a black picture.<br>

If I turn it off and then back on after resetting the custom settings, then it usually will not let me take any pictures in the auto focusing mode. I can take pictures OK in manual focusing mode. I have cleaned the lens to camera body contacts but by the symptoms, it is a camera body problem. The firmware version is 1.10u<br>

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Hi Wayne,<br>

There were a number of inconsistencies and faults that have been noted and discussed often in various forums. Poor flash performance, Slow AF, and front/back focusing and inconsistent auto exposure and first black frame, being some of them.<br>

I am a KM 7D user myself and from time to time have the same problem with AF. This occurs in difficult lighting conditions, usually low light. There is no focus assist on the camera. I believe if you are using the pop up flash it should preflash to assist focus but I only use the pop up flash for wirelessly controlling an off camera flash. If you are using an external flash the focus assist light on the flash may not be working properly. You may want to try setting the AF to release priority. Sometimes focusing manually may be your only option! In any case read through the manual on these topics. Low light and flash performance and well as overall AF performance is not on par with the Minolta Maxxum 7 Film camera.<br>

Are you aware of the First Black Frame issue with the 7d? You may also be having that problem. Up till the end of 2010, Sony was repairing that problem free. Now they don't even have parts for the repair.<br>

Try searching this forum and other for more discussion on your 7D problems.</p>

<p>Regards,</p>

<p>Robert</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I also get an issues with pressing the shutter and getting a black picture.<br /> I press the shutter, it then seem to lock the shutter in the open position. Turning the power off will release the shutter, then powering it back on doing it again results in the same thing usually happening.<br /> I found the way i fix this is I then just turn it off, pull out the battery, put it back in, take the lense off, put the lens back on, and she was working again.<br /> It appears to only happen to my if I have not used the camera for a period, as in many days or weeks. As I have an A700 and don't get back to the 7D much.<br>

<a href="http://www.dyxum.com/columns/other/first_black_frame/first_black_frame.asp">http://www.dyxum.com/columns/other/first_black_frame/first_black_frame.asp</a></p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Robert,<br>

Thanks for your response. The auto focusing problem occurs with the pop-up flash also. It looks like I will be forced to use manual focusing from now on--which is not very nice unless Precision Camera can fix it. They want $250 though plus shipping and I can't speak to anyone that can tell me whether they can fix the camera or not! Apparently, there is a lack of parts.</p>

<p>It would be nice to have a camera that focuses properly but I can't just go out and buy a nice camera too often.</p>

• 4 months later...