I need to go wide with my A-700

gerry297

<p>I currently have an 16-80 Sony/Zeiss, but need something wider. I am thinking about the Tokina 11 - 16. I welcome input about any of the others available. I would much rather have a prime, but all the ultra wides in this range seem to be fisheyes. any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>You could get a Sigma/Tamron 14mm prime, but they're a bit clumsy on APS-C. Large, big front element that gets dusty... Kind of a pain just to get a 20mm equiv.</p>

<p>My advise is the same as <a href="00XpZ3">here</a></p>

<p>If you want wide prime options then you might want to try picking up a film camera. However, all the zooms perform well once you stop them down, non of them are really bad, just don't expect them to perform like a 50mm.</p>

<p>To me the Tokina 11-16/2.8 sounds just like what the doctor ordered. I don't think you'll find that the primes available in this range are any better/cheaper, and most of them are no smaller as they were designed for 24x36 coverage.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As Rich said, what's the concern with using a zoom? I find no advantage to using a prime below 28mm. The zooms aren't much slower, and you're using shooting stopped down anyways. Most importantly, framing at wide angles is much more finicky with respect to focal length, so having that adjustment capability is more important than edge-to-edge sharpness.</p>

<p>But then, I don't shoot landscapes. :-) </p>

<p>The Sigma 10-20mm has received very good reviews so you might want to check it out against the Tokina 11-16mm lens. I wouldn't worry about the overlap with your 16-80mm lens. Just get the one that is better optically at the wide end.</p>