second camera

s._prior

<p>Minolta XTsi (aka Dynax 505si Super) was my other camera (also a backup) until few weeks ago[0] . Used it as a bright light[1] camera purely due to slow films[2], and A700 as low light & sports photography camera.

<p>

And, <i>once</i> I happen to shoot <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bitteralmonds/4951054531/sizes/l/in/photostream/">same subject</a> with different lenses with both cameras purely out of curiosity. XTsi had Minolta 35 mm f/2 lens, A700 had Minolta 50 mm f/1.7; might have exchanged the lenses at some point.

<p>

<br> <hr>

<p>

[0] Gave XTsi to my sister who could not decide on a lightweight digital (SLR or otherwise) camera with full manual controls, LCD screen to compose, upper zoom limit at least around 100 mm, & cost of about US$ 300. Panasonic FZ 35 was the camera she <i>almost</i> bought.

<p>

[1] No tripod is being hauled around whilst carrying camera(s) everyday everywhere without particular goals in mind.

<p>

[2] ISO 400 films were exposed at ISO 250 or 320; (had exhausted supply of) ISO 800 films were exposed at ISO 640.

<p>I have never been a point and shoot believer. I use the NEX-5 as a second camera although usually I prefer to use two DSLRs when doing events.<br>

The NEX-5 has been a very useful companion in capturing available light images due to its processing, and the 16mm has thus far been my widest lens. In one event, I had the beercan on the A550, the NEX-5 + 16mm combo in my jacket pocket, and that was it.<br>

The only thing is, I think the 16mm is pretty soft for a prime. I would jump on an alternative compact solution which provided better quality. For example, I am now looking to experiment with the MS Super Triplet Perar 35mm f/3.5 with M-mount adapter. It's manual focus but if Sony comes out with a nice wide pancake with auto-focus, I'll be the first one lining up for it.</p>

<p>I usually use two DSLRs when shooting an event like a wedding. At my last wedding (a little over a month ago) I was sort of mid-stream in my transition from Pentax to Sony, so I used the Sony A550 as my primary camera and a Pentax K20D as my second body. As it turned out however the high ISO performance of the A550 is so much better than that of the older K20D that I did took most of the photos at that event with the Sony.</p>

<p>Now that I have the A580, it becomes my primary, and the A550 is my second body. The Pentax K20D has found a really nice home with another photographer. I still have two older Pentax bodies but don't expect to use them for work. </p>

<p>For personal use, I also often carry either my Panasonic LX3 or FZ35 for daytime shooting.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>No pointing & shooting for me either, my backup is either a290 as second dslr or a 35mm film SLR = 600si or 700si if I expect landscape subject matter for my wider alpha lenses, or if I'm testing new old auction/pawn/craigslist loot then a manual focus body from whichever is the brand in question.</p>

<p>I use the a55 primarily because of its many functions/modes/screens. It's great for sports action such as football under lights and basketball in a gym and I use a Minolta 28-75 f2.8, a Sigma 28-70 f2.8 or a Sigma 70-210 f2.8 APO for those action shots. Until I got the a55, the a900 was my primary camera and I used a Tamron 28-300 as my walk around lens. I can hardly believe it but I'll reach for the a55 before the a900! I also have the a350 as a backup to either of these cameras. In case you haven't seen it yet (I just got mine today), the January 2011 issue of Popular Photography chose the Sony a55 as Camera of the Year. Seems I made a good choice way back in August 2010!</p>