Wireless Remotes - Which Ones are Good?

dianedh

<p>OK - I''ve been looking for a wireless remote (shutter release) for my A500. I've seen a number of different brands on B&H and Adorama and even checked the Sony site.<br>

What is anyone using and can you tell me pros and cons? How are they working for you?<br>

Thanks for any help.<br>

Diane </p>

<p>I have an A550 and I use the Phottix Plato wireless remote on occasion. It is the only one I have used thus far (my previous remote was cabled), but form-factor-wise, I prefer this to the older Cleon I and Cleon II models (which have extendable antennae). I quite like it. It looks professional, has a very nice design, and it has a good bulb mode as well, although the continuous shutter feature has limited use.<br>

Pro: longer wireless range than wired remotes, obviously, and no cables to get in the way. Perfect for awkward angles, self portraits, etc.<br>

Con: Takes longer to setup on the camera, requires AAA battery for the remote (receiver uses one of those powerful small batteries too), the receiver at the camera end either slots into the hotshoe, or has to be left hanging if the hotshoe is taken by something else, like a flash or a wireless flash controller.<br>

Pro: you can take photos without being at the camera! Secondary event camera mounted on a tripod?<br>

Con: This actually requires more skill in setting up the composition and pre-focusing, unless you are taking stuff which does not move. I'd give this approach another go if I had an hour before any particular event to spare, but unless you are in those particular situations where having a remotely triggered camera is a must-have, I would prefer to take my photos in the flesh, or get a friend in for secondary.<br>

Pro: has coded light signals which indicate if the shot was taken successfully<br>

Con: still somewhat cryptic, and you never really know, unless you are close enough to hear the shutter sound.</p>

I personally do use the Sony IR remote sometimes; have not used any other wireless remote to fire shutter yet. Mind that I have problem sometimes making line of sight connection to the remote sensor when Sony A700 (sans grip) is in portrait orientation (due to signal being blocked by the (regular) camera grip or the lens).

A reason not to use Sony remote is to be able to use other "Drive" modes in addition to firing the shutter wireless-ly. On Sony A700, the only way to fire shutter via Sony remote is first to set the "Drive" mode to remote. Now, any other mode -- high or low speed shutter firing; bracketing; delay -- is unavailable.

Having written that, I am looking forward to using radio wireless remote (YongNuo RF-602) to fire shutter via recently ordered cable to connect the receiver. At the time of ordering RF-602 sets mainly to fire flashes, Pixel radio remotes for Sony|Minolta flash shoes had not been released; these remotes would be the current choice.

I hadn't mentioned Sony remote in my first response as it is too expensive mainly to fire the shutter. Most of radio remote receivers attach to the wired remote port which frees up other "Drive" modes.

Did I mention I am no fan of the Sony remote?