Wireless flash sync

artphoto

<p>Hi<br>

I am currently facing a problem that wont let me utilise wireless flash set up, and strobes with my sony camera.<br>

I do have a hotshoe adapter for it and it camera seems to connect to strobes and trigger the flash the only problem is that for some reason strobes flash after already after camera has taken the shot. Seems to be that camera and strobes have different shutter speeds. i have tried from shooting with 1/125 to 1/200 speeds, no luck.<br>

both canon and nikon cameras work fine with the same equipment.</p>

<p>Please advise?</p>

The hot shoe adapter may be causing significant enough of delay for the shutter to close earlier than "fire flash" signal would be sent.

What kind of hot shoe adapter you have? Could you be clear on just how "camera seems to connect to the strobes" (yet title has "wireless" in it)?

<p>Set your shutter speed to one second, if no trace of the flash in the image, your flashes are probably being fired by a preflash signal. Which Sony camera, which wireless transmitter and receivers and which strobes? Do your strobes have an optical trigger and is it turned off?</p>

<p>Let me re-phrase my question.<br>

Can strobes/flashboxes be used with Sony Alpha 380, if wireless flash trigger is used. However, wireless flash trigger is designed for use with canon/nikon hot shoe so it can only be attached to sony camera via hot shoe adaptor.<br>

If its possible please let me know how it can be set up, since there is nothing about that in the sony manual, it only contains info on how to set up wireless sony flash units.</p>

<p> </p>

Yes, an off camera flash|strobe can be fired via a Sony camera either via a flash or a radio transmitter.

Mount the transmitter with ISO shoe on a Sony camera hot shoe via a copy of FS-1100 adapter. Make sure the built-in flash does not pop up during use. Start at the maximum (normal) flash sync speed. Keep lowering the shutter speed until you get a frame without black portion, or however much you can tolerate the blacked out part.

See also ...

- http://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_alpha/discuss/72157605843075357/

- http://www.flickr.com/groups/alphastrobist/discuss/72157613482276447/

- http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/introduction-to-off-camera-lighting_topic56637.htmls

As for a radio set, people, yours truly included, have used YongNuo RF-602, Cybersync, among others successfully.

<p>It might be a problem with your wireless trigger system or your adapter, especially if, as you say, the camera attempts to pop up its flash when it is fitted on the hotshoe (meaning probably that the camera does not detect anything connected on the hotshoe).<br /> My hunch is you need a new adapter if your canon and nikons work well with the trigger.<br /> I use a cheap PT-04 type trigger and receiver system from ebay alongside a hotshoe adapter and it gives me 1/160 sec sync speed no problems.<br>

Also, would you happen to have more information regarding what camera you are using?</p>

<p>thanks to everyone, who have contributed.....<br>

I dont remember what wireless trigger it was...all i know is that camera is a380 and adapter is made by tumax.<br>

If anyone knows or has tried working with studio lights using sony alpha equipment please let me know how did you get studio lights syncronised, what equipment you used, ect (not a850 or a900, since those are pretty much straight forward on getting wireless set up).</p>

<p>Artjom wrote: "the problem is that when wireless trigger is attached to a camera, and i switch on the flash my camera flash tries to pop up every time......."</p>

<p>Switch on which flash? From a menu or switch on the camera? That may be your problem, you are most likely turning on the built in popup flash.</p>

<p>Check in your camera manual whether the flash is raised automatically in manual mode. If not, that's the answer for a ~half of the problem.<br>

Afterwards we may be in the same position. I have chineese RF triggers and use them with Sony A100.<br>

With the following flashes the setup syncs at 1/125 or 1/160 in 80% of the cases:<br>

- Minolta 3500xi, Minolta 3600hs, Sony HVL 56 (same as Minolta 5600hs).<br>

I tried an older Minolta 5200i flash, and it will only sync at 1/40. Its specific problem is in hot-shoe adapter, not in the triggers. I tried to connect it directly to hot-shoe through 2 adapters (Minolta-std-Minolta), and it behaves the same as with RF triggers.<br>

Another observation - these RF triggers won't work together with chineese remote RF shutter release.<br>

After wasting too much time on the cheap RF triggers, I decided they are not a substitute for Sony/Minolta built-in remote flash capability.</p>

<p>thx to all who participated...problem is solved, finally able to use Sony alpha with studio lights: here is the set up:<br>

1. SMDV SM-512-SONY adapter<br />2. FALCON EYES Syncronaser TR-1, its infrared though....</p>

<p>sync works great at all shutter speeds!</p>