How to carry your camera when not using it

I am not sure if anyone else has heard about the "proper way" how to

carry your camera when not using it.

I read somewhere that pro's when not using this particular camera, or

using another body, they hang it over the shoulder with lens IN.

Stating that the camera body takes any knocks better than the lens.

Has anyone comments on this? I have tried it myself( both Leica and

Nikon) with various lenses, and it actually feels better as well as

being more still on the shoulder.

Noticed Karen Kasmauski carried her spare Nikon in the Jan 03 isse of

National Geographic with lens out though.

Patrik

Thanks Sal, I agree that only the user her/himself can decide whether it is comfortable. My initial try-outs were with my Nikon F5 with 80-200 AF-S(sorry I know this is a Leica forum), and thought if that works why shouldn't work with a M6 with a 35mm, it does, although the feeling is of course much better/greater with a longer lens.

Patrik

I often carry a camera over the shoulder with a 35mm lens facing in to protect the shutter from the sun even though I know that the chance of burning a hole in the shutter while walking is zilch. Just an old habit. Mostly I just leave them lens pointing out. When I used to use a 180 often it didn't seem to matter because no matter which way the strap was the lens pointed down.

A related question is how do you carry two bodies. Two Leicas banging together will do a lot of $$$ damage. Do you keep one on one side of your body and one on the other? Or do you keep one with a shorter strap than the other? Assuming no bags.

Vic,

Any damage is purely cosmetic and inconsequential. I often carry three Ms and yes they do bump into each other and other stuff. None of the the three look brand new but they all work just fine. If you are paranoid about cosmetics I would suggest you do not buy new equipment but stuff that is already in user shape. You will save a good deal of money and not be afraid to use your cameras fo what they were made for.

If you turn the Leica lens-down and flip the strap attachments so they're pointing toward the base rather than the top plate, it'll stay hanging in that position until you're ready to shoot. Keeps the lens out of the sunlight and makes for a lower-profile with a 90 or 135 attached. I always wear some kind of jacket, or a lightweight long-sleeved shirt in hot weather, and the Leica is underneath.

As for carrying multiple bodies, stacking them ladder style with various strap lengths never seems to work for me. I like a very precise strap length based on my habit of taking a couple of wraps around my wrist and just leaving that camera hanging there when using another body. The wrist camera mostly has a 35 or other wide angle. Anything longer than 90mm is always on my shoulder. I never worried much about the bodies banging together. The only thing that really seems to show abuse is the front edge of the lens hoods. I hate built in hoods because they always do the dissapearing act rather than absorb shocks. Buy beat up looking used bodies to begin with and don't worry, or figure that in 10 years the new body you'd purchased is now beat up and will still most likely be worth more than you paid for it.

I only carry a camera over my shoulder these days when I'm carrying more than one camera. That's not often. It's usually carried with the lens pointing inward, especially if it has a long tele or zoom on it. When I used to carry multiple camera bodies back in the days I was working as a photographer, it made no difference where I carried them or if they banged together or not.

Neoprene neckstraps, obliquely crossed so one camera rests below the right arm, one below the left. <a href="http://www.konermann.net/lehook.html">Hooks</a>, sliding along the straps, <a href="

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh6.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=GetPrinterFriendlyPage__Aattributelist_html___75789___ZICP___REG___CatID=173___SID=F365D045CA0">Zing pouches</A> which rest attached to the straps when cameras are "unhooked".