Minolta 5D not capturing image - HELP!

jill_levesque

<p>I have a Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 5D that has been a great camera for freelance portrait work I do. However, suddenly it isn't capturing the image - it seems that the camera recognizes that a picture has been taken, the number count on the bottom changes but the display screen is just black! Sometimes you can see a faint hint of light, but barely. I've talked to someone who fixes cameras and he said he couldn't do anything because he can't get parts for Minolta anymore.<br>

So my questions are: (1)Has anyone heard of that kind of problem? (2)If I can't find someone to fix it, I HAVE to get a new camera - with about 4 lenses and a flash all in the Minolta family, do you suggest staying with the Sony family (and if so - what are thoughts on A550?) or should I leave the unstable Minolta/Konica/now Sony world and move to Nikon or Canon and start over? This is obviously more expensive than I can afford, but may be the right time to switch.<br>

If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it!</p>

<p>Actually, I've never heard of that but I HAD been dealing with that situation for probably 2 years - I'm not a "fix-it" kind of person so I just ignored it. After turning it off then on again it always worked fine. Not anymore...like I said, it "takes" the shot - registers that a shot has been taken but just a black screen (with data on it though - like picture count, etc) - any other possibilities?</p>

<p>According to page 27 in <a href="http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/important-first-frame-black-issue_topic9844_page27.html?KW=ffb">this very long thread</a> in dyxum.com you can get the FBF/FFB (First Black Frame or First Frame Black) error repaired for free by Precision Camera in Connecticut - not to be confused with several Precision Camera places in other states. The free repair program supposedly ends in 2011 so best not wait too long. I actually received a 5D with FFB just today, will test it a little more in the next few days and then send it to Precision as well. The dyxum thread mentions companies that will do the free repair in several other countries too, although in some places apparently it doesn't exist.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.precisioncamera.com/precisioncamera.com">Precision Camera Repair </a><br>

take it too these guys and everything will be okay. My 7d had a "Black Frame" issue and they fixed it , all it cost was the shipping. They are the only authorized minolta/sony repair shop in the USA. It took 4 to 6 weeks but it came back as good as new.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Sony organised my FFB problem, but then I live in Japan, so my situation is a little different. If it's not FFB, it'd interesting to hear what else it might be. I still use my 5d occasionally (mostly use the A200 now).</p>