Looking for a particular type of film SLR

troyammons

<p>I think I will eventually end up with a Sony DSLR, thus the question here<br>

but would like to here opinions on other cameras too.<br>

Looking for the normal semi high end stuff probably on the level of a F100.<br>

1/8000, 3-5 fps, autowind, snappy AF, iso 25-3200 or so.<br>

One thing I am looking for is a camera you can set to rewind so it leaves the leader hanging out<br>

and I am not even sure where to start looking with that.<br>

I am pretty sure I have read about this function on some camera in the past.<br>

I also want more of a regular meter of some sort in the viewfinder.<br>

Probably some other things I have forgotten too.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You posted on the Sony forum so presumably you're looking for a film camera that will use your Sony Alpha lenses. When you buy them, that is.<br>

Maxxum 7 - available in excellent condition at KEH for 1/3 or less than its original selling price. Or if you have a bit more money and want the best-built camera in the Minolta stable, Maxxum 9.</p>

<p>What do you have in mind when you wrote about a regular meter in the viewfinder? Not sure myself which maxxums would have the not-quite-complete rewind option, but a lot of the detailed specs can be found in the manuals on <a href="http://www.vikenk.com/minolta_manual.htm">Viken's website</a>. As Michael wrote the 7 and 9 are universally considered kings of the crop in the maxxum range. Since you're comparing with F100 and not the single-digit Fs then you might also want to check out the maxxum 700si or 800si. More plastic in their build than in the 7 and 9 but a lot of functionality, ergonomics and customization options as well, for significantly less $$ on the used market.</p>

<p>The Maxxum 9 actually surpasses the Nikon in this respect: its top shutter speed is 1/12,000 second. You can get the 1/8000 sec. shutter speed in the 7xi, 700si, 800si, 8000i, and Maxxum 7. Custom function settings on the Maxxum 7, Maxxum 9, 700si, and 800si can be set to leave the leader out after rewind. Adding the Custom Function Card to the 8000i also allows leader out rewinding. The 9xi is another model often overlooked (has same top speed as Maxxum 9), but it never sold as well, but is a lot less expensive. I think it also accepts the Custom Function Card as well. If 1/4000 sec. is fast enough your options grow even more: Maxxum 7000i, 600si, HTSI, XTSI, and Maxxum 5.</p>

<p>Given that my lowly Maxxum 5 gives you the option to leave the film leader out (much easier for me than fishing it out with a tool, when desired!), I imagine that many of the later models do. It sounds to me like what you want is either a Maxxum 7 or possibly one of the Maxxum 9's that has been modified to use SSM lenses (similar to Canon USM).</p>

<p>We've named a lot of choices here, but except for the Maxxum 9, most are fairly reasonable in price. The 8000i does surprisingly well even compared to the later Maxxums, but it is not compatable with SSM and requires an optional custom function card to leave the leader out. Its main advantage it is inexpensive on the used market. If you can find a Maxxum 7 at a good price it's probably your best bet. Of all the cameras that have the features you specified, it is the most recent. Not sure if the Maxxum 7 has SSM lens capability or has to be modified for it.</p>

<p>The Maxxum 7 and 5 both included SSM support, if I remember correctly. Both came out after the Maxxum 9. I have both the 7 and the 5 (manuals not handy at this point), but no SSM lenses :)</p>

<p>The Maxxum 9 required a modification from Minolta to use the SSM lenses. I've never seen a used camera dealer indicate whether a particular unit has been modified or not</p>

<p>The Maxxum 5 does not have MLU, but I'm 98% sure that both the Maxxum 7 and the 9 do.</p>

<p>As to metering through a manual lens, not sure what you want, but the Maxxum / Dynax / Alpha mount is incompatible with the older manual-focus Minolta (and other) lenses, and almost any lens that will mount (without an adapter) will be both auto-focus and auto-iris. Obviously if you get something like the Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror lens it has no iris, or at least no moving one; but the cameras all should meter correctly if you set aperture priority (or manual) and f/8.</p>