Compare older Minoltas

ken_manning1

<p>I couldn't resist the cheap Minoltas on eBay, and have collected a couple will getting a selection of lenses. Now I want to keep just one, but I'm not sure which.<br>

They are a 440si, Qtsi, and a 3xi. I'd appreciate anyone's opinions on these three. I am advanced intermediate, I guess, and have loads of experience with SRT's, but these 3 seem kind of fun, and look cooler. All seem fully functioning and clean.<br>

Thanks.<br>

Ken</p>

<p>I think you'll be sorely disappointed at your experience level. ;-) All are entry level. You need a Maxxum 7.<br>

<br /> Actually, as someone going the other way, my biggest gripe (even with the 7) is the inability to really manually focus well. The AF "focusing" screens really aren't.</p>

<p>In any case, your best resource is here. It tells all the differences in focusing, metering, etc.</p>

<p>http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/bodies.php</p>

<p>Of course, you'll need a stash of Maxxum lenses to go on them, which will be your biggest cost. Any lenses that came with them will be average at best.</p>

All of them have a single AF sensor so they won't focus as fast as the more advanced Maxxums. The 3xi and 440si do

offer a manual exposure mode that works well. The 35-80 f4-5.6 and 28-80 f4-5.6 are not very good wide open and

acceptable stopped down, but many users of these entry level Maxxums use program which favors wide apertures. You

might do well to get the 50 mm f1.7 to start with, but if you want a zoom the original 28-85 f3.5-4.5 or 35-105 are much

better. For a later model zoom the 24-105 is good. For a surprisingly good "bang for the buck" the Tamron 28-80 and

Sigma 28-80 are worth a look. Of the three I'd keep the 3xi since it seems better built than the other two.

<p>Well chronologically, the 3xi is oldest, then the 440si and then the Qtsi. I think they are all pretty "entry level" machines though I don't know much about the Qtsi. Given how little Minoltas sell for these days, I'd look for a 600si. They are cheap and have about the best UI anyone ever produced. Really well thought out and I think they sell for about $30.</p>

<p>Some of the beginner models are so lacking in features that you don't want them, so do yourself a favor and go for at least the 5 level machines (5xi, 500si, 600si, 5, 7xi, 700si, 7, etc. Basically the 5 level was the advanced amateurs, the 7 level was the really advanced amateur and the 9 level was the pro. And the 3 level was the "you want a camera but you know nothing and have very little money." And like I said, the 600si was a jewel.</p>

<p>The 3xi was my very first camera back around 1990, and it was that machine that ushered me into photography. Although I've long since graduated to more sophisticated cameras, I have very fond memories of it. There was seemingly nothing that I, and a trusty tripod, could not do.</p>

<p>"... only from the Mind of Minolta".</p>