Tokina 11-16/2.8 (APS-C) for Sony

ricardovaste

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020103tokina1116mmalpha.asp</p>

<p>Available from 24th Feb. Over 1000 USD though... unless Sony do something magical with APS-C cameras, I can't see it being terribly popular. It's in semi pro-pro category, and most of the professionals I know that shoot Sony, shoot full-frame. Then again, we have yet to see the A700 successor... that could be critical I guess.</p>

<p>Depends though, the f2.8 max aperture and matching image quality may be quite tempting to frustrated A700 owners with cash saved up while waiting ad infinitum for the a7xx to appear. Do you know if it opens up to FF image circle at the 14-16mm end or is it strictly aps-c? Just started trying out a Sony 11-18 and (despite its relative weaknesses) it certainly adds fun being able to put it on a film body and use the top half of its zoom range.</p>

<p>In the greater scheme of things, it's good news that Tokina is selling one of its lenses in alpha mount again, hopefully there will be other models from its lineup to follow :)</p>

<p>Paul, I do believe I've read it's usable at 14mm on FF. But that was just a passing comment on dyxum, so I wouldn't hold me to it.</p>

<p>Seems dpreview just did a straight yen-usd conversion, so hopefully the actual selling price will be much closer to that of the Canon/Nikon mount version.</p>

<p>That's like me Craig. At the moment I only really shoot landscapes so use smaller apertures. But you can't underestimate choice... Tokina have some great APS-C lenses that can only make our mount stronger if they all come to market (and this one alone will be a great move forwards).</p>

<p>Yeah, seems overkill to pay for 2.8 on an wide-angle. I've never had any issues with the Minolta 11-18mm.<br>

<br />And if you only get 16-17mm on FF, you get no FOV advantage. Plus, the 17-35mm works plenty well at 17mm.</p>

<p>Those two lenses together are cheaper than this one.<br>

But...more glass choices is always a good thing.</p>

<p> </p>