Minolta Maxxum 9 AF Lens Question / Issue

michael_wilson12

<p>I'm new to the Minolta line of cameras; just recently introduced to them via a wonderful Minolta Maxxum 9. The camera and the 50mm lens I initially bought for it work great, absolutely no complaints. However, I've purchased two other lenses for it, and neither one autofocuses correctly. The lens I received today is labeled AF 100 - 300 / 4.5 - 5.6 (D) APO. It mounts to the camera without issue, I can switch between AF and manual and the lens works fine. The focus hold button on the lens works fine. However, when I press the shutter button the camera hunts and pecks to focus on something, even in bright light, and then settles on an out of focus point. The same issue with the other lens I purchased. It too as a (D) designation. However, the 50mm lens I purchased does not have this (D) designation and is lightning fast when autofocusing.</p>

<p>I've researched what the designation D means, and I've read no caveats on using those lenses with the Minolta Maxxum 9. I purchased the lenses from respectable, online resellers and have no reason to believe they're defective. I do believe however that what is defective is my understanding of Minolta lenses and what's compatible with the Maxxum 9. I bought both lenses from the Maxxum Autofocus sections of the website, which from what I read in the manual, are the correct lenses to purchase. I've looked all over the camera for some button I might be forgetting to press, I've looked in the manual, and I jut can't figure out why these two D lenses will not autofocus correctly on my Maxxum.</p>

<p>Just a quick background on myself, I'm a long time Nikon user and Rollei 6008i user.</p>

<p>Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated. I love this camera and want to use it, ever since the first time I picked it up.</p>

<p>The 'D' lens have nothing to do with the focusing problem, so don't worry about that part. The problem lies in the fact that the maximum aperture of your lens will make the camera have a harder time finding proper focus, more so when you're using the lens at the 300mm position. The AF system of the Minolta can be used up to f/8 lenses, like the 500mm mirror lens, but it will take longer, especially if you don't have a lot of contrast in the area that you're trying to focus on.</p>

<p>Back to the 'D' designation. The 'D' lenses have a chip that tells the flash what 'D'istance your subject is at, so that if they're standing in front of a reflective surface like a mirror, the extra reflected light will not cause the flash to cut power off, and make your main subject come out under-exposed.</p>