Any Minolta film SLR's that will work wirelessly with Sony hvl-f42am flash?

eric_rinehardt

<p>I'm thinking of getting a film camera to back up my Sony a850, and wonder which, if any, Minolta Maxxum cameras will allow me to use my existing Sony HVL-F42AM flash wirelessly. Lots of questions on Minolta/Sony flash compatabilities here, so at least I'm not the only one who's confused. Didn't see anything that gave me an answer, though. Thanks</p>

<p>Another is Minolta Maxxum 5.

<p>

I would think that Sony flash would work with all the Minolta Dynax|Maxxum AF cameras. I can test one with Minolta Dynax 505si Super|Maxxum XTsi if somebody sends me one. I do have Minolta 5600 HSD (same as Sony HVL-F56AM) which works with my XTsi without problems.

<p>

One thing to note, dear OP, is that auto focus with SSM lenses will work only with cameras that came after (and including) Maxxum 7. Maxxum 9 can employ AF with such lenses if it has been updated for that. Actually, <a href="http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/bodies.php">check the "Supported Lenses" column</a> yourself.

<p>I would assume the late Maxxum's (9, 7, 5). My 9 works with the 58 (to the extent that I tested, which was not exhaustive). Not sure, however, if I could mix the 58 and the 5600HS wirelessly on the Max 9 using the Max 9's flash as the controller. (I'm still PO'd that Sony didn't include a flash on the a900 as I found it very convenient for such and to fire studio lights as slaves).<br>

IMO the best consistency in lighting comes from driving the Minolta/Sony flashes manually and with wireless sync (radio) rather than the Minolta/Sony flash based wireless. This involves buying sync trigger widgets, radio sync sets, setting power manually and shooting that way (more like studio shooting). Using a meter for ratios helps as well. (The Minolta/Sony wireless ratio mode is not at all consistent in my experience).<br>

An advantage of digital, of course, is that in any wireless mashup you can do a lot of testing before committing a shot - esp. with the a900/850 intelligent preview.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I know you could get a definitive answer to this question rather quickly over at dyxum.com<br>

I'm just guessing here but I think some of the other Minolta AF bodies might not be compatible. I know that some of the older flash units that worked with those bodies don't work with the new DSLRs. </p>