What would you buy for $1500-$2000?

durr3

<p>I would buy some car insurance! But if we're talking cameras... Not sure what you'd get with that sort of money. 'Portraits' is quite vague really... Are we talking casual family/friends snaps? If so, I think an A700 + 85/1.4 Minolta would fit into that budget nicely. If you're doing more formal things, paid work, I would be looking at lighting equipment before and working a lens/camera into that set up.</p>

<p>If i was just starting out and buying into the Sony system (and i would buy into this mount again without hesitation), the best combination for me would be (given your preferences):</p>

<p>1) a700<br>

2) KM 28-75mm f2.8 or Minolta 28-135mm f4/4.5 (my 1st preference is for the 28-135mm)<br>

3) With any remaining cash, i'd then buy an appropriate hot-shoe flash and anything left over would go toward a circular polarizer for sunny days</p>

<p>The camera is absolutely astounding (and if i wasn't saving up for a FF, i'd snap one up in a hurry!!!).</p>

<p>Either of the lenses will give minimally excellent results and, imho, the 28-135mm spectacular results.</p>

<p>An accessory flash which can be remotely triggered is very helpful - especially for dedicated portraiture (whether indoor or out).</p>

<p>A CPL is an accessory (again, imho, a *necessity*) that you will find always valuable even with portraiture. With this (as with lenses), buy the absolute best you can (not quite?!?) afford here. "Good" ones start around $100 and go up to around $200 - depending on filter diameter.</p>

<p>I hope this is helpful! When you've made your selection, please do come back and let us know how it's working for you.</p>

<p>frank</p>

<p>Hey Durr ,</p>

<p>I just noticed you have lights...</p>

<p>So, in lieu of a flash maybe a super-sharp single-focal length lens like the Tamron 90mm f2.8 "macro" (though it is a bit spendy) would make more sense. Incidently, the Alpha 700 comes with a IR flash trigger - a very nice "option" as standard equipment (hmm, its sounding better all the time!)</p>

<p>frank</p>

<p>get a a700 for $1000.00<br>

get a sigma or tamron 18-50mm f2.8 lens for $350<br>

get an ebay hotshoe adaptor for $15<br>

get 2 Lumo Pro LP120 manual flash for $140.00<br>

get a paul c buff cyber sync hotshoe flash system with a transciever and 2 receivers for $138.00<br>

get this kit for $100 http://www.lincoinc168.com/15stliwsost.html which is a softbox, 120w/s flash, lightstand, basic 6in reflector and a 24x24 reflector $99</p>

<p>Total = $1792.00 ALL STILL UNDER 2K</p>

<p>This will allow indoor and outdoor work. On location and not! You'll have a GREAT camera system and a good solid lighting system that you can take with you or use in home!</p>