Sony 70-400mm filters

rdjc

<p>I sold my tamron 200-500mm, which did a very good job but I felt it was time for an upgrade. Yesterday I tested the Sony 70-400mm and I was floored by its' performance. All the reviews that I have read were positive except for a few small issues, lens hood and color of lens. Does anyone have any other information that might help in the use of this lens? Can you recommend filters, uv, cp, etc; that might work the best with lens? Are there any other pitfalls connected to the Sony 70-400mm. Thanks...</p>

<p>I can find no fault with this lens - it is the sharpest tele zoom of it's type I've ever used. (I'm a Canon convert, btw). Its best aperture is just one stop down from maximum, tho' maximum is very sharp too. At 300 mm it is as sharp as the 300 mm f2.8 G except at the very edges, which doesn't matter if you use it for wildlife as I do. (Of course, it is not as fast as the 300 mm f2.8)<br>

The colour of the lens is completely irrelevant to me - I look through it, not at it!<br>

It takes 72 mm filters, same as the ZA 24-70. I use B+W personally.<br>

Get it - you won't be sorry!<br>

Bill</p>

<p>Thanks Bill I ordered it today, and based on an email I rec'd from b&h it will be delivered tomorrow. I'm looking forward to giving it a workout. B&W are quality filters I also use Sony Carl Zeiss. I be traveling out to the sedona area for vacation and can't wait to put it to the test.<br>

Thanks again....Bob</p>

<p>Hi Guys.... thanks for posting the details on this SAL70400G, it looks awesome. Here in Oz they retail for around A$3200 but ebay has them for around A$1900, so I've started saving (smiles).<br>

Robert, let me know how you go with this one.<br>

Bill, did the specs I read say a 77mm filter thread? Can't remember.<br>

Regards</p>

<p>For the record the Sony site has this at $1600, as does Amazon.<br>

Question about performance. I've always admired the Canon 100-400mm users ability to get hand held, auto focus flight shots. The AF on that lens seemed to be lighting fast and sharp. Will this lens match that capability. If so, I'm there. My years of trying to get good flight shots with a tripod mounted 600mm or a hand held 70-300mm zoom have been disappointing at best.<br>

Thanks<br>

Jerome Smith</p>

<p>I just got back from the big EAA airshow at Oshkosh. I rented the 70-400mm G, and shot lots of flying pix with it. Simply stated, this is an amazing lens in so far as its sharpness is concerned. I used it with a Sony A900, ISO 400, lens set at f/8, and the results were simply stunning. I also used a Nikon D300 and Nikon 80-400 when I needed the extra 1.5x "reach", and it did ok (better than I recalled in the past). Tomorrow I will return the 70-400G, then I will order one. The only question is, what do I do with my 70-300G (also a sharp, fine lens) and my 500 f/8 (sharp, but not good for moving targets).<br>

The Sony 70-400m G is Highly recommended.<br>

All the Best</p>

<p>This is now the sharpest lens I owe, shot the NYC skyline from New Jersey side of river in the evening hours, after 8:30pm to 9:30pm on A700, and I was very pleased with the results. Yes Grayham; filter thread is 77mm. I definitely recommend this lens.</p>

<p>Hey Jerome... having posted the above, I went into Amazon to have a look-see and at the bottom of the page was a link to Sony Australia..... lo and behold, I get taken to a totally different Sony site (to the one I normally go to) and there it is, but for 2699.00 Aus$... go figure... either way, I've still got to save.<br>

Regards </p>