Which Flash Can I use on The Sony Alpha A700

dennis_mansour1

<p>I just bought the A700 and should be here this week. I shoot ttl, Ittl with my canon. Which flashes can I get that will work very well with the A700? I have to get one real soon. I usually shoot ISO 400 0r 800 at the max. I do mainly weddings. I also bought the Minolta 50mm 1.7 Later version to start with for indoor shoots. Thank you, rollsman</p>

<p>Dennis, my advice is always to use the Sony flashes. I shoot weddings with 2 A700's, and 2 HVL-F56AM flashes. These flashes are generally around $300US, but I think Sony has discontinued them lately (a mistake, in my estimation), since I can only find the 42 and 58 model flashes on their website. The 58's are more expensive, but top of the line, and there's nothing else like them anywhere.</p>

<p>The 42 flashes are fine for general shooting, but lack the side connector to attach the FA-EB1AM battery pack, which keeps the flash recycled faster for those rapid-action wedding shots.</p>

<p>I'd search around and see if you can find the 56 model flashes still in stock somewhere, or on Ebay. An older Minolta 5600D will work too, but being used, might be more prone to an early burnout in the heat of wedding use.</p>

<p>There are other 3rd party flashes out there too, but having tried the Sigma, I say you'll get no better function and results than with the Sony units. Money well spent.</p>

<p>Dennis,<br>

Another option is to use any of the Metz flashes with SCA adapters. I have the 54 MZ4 with the SCA 3302 adapter. <br>

The main reasons for going this route is if you have other manufacturer's gear; by using different SCA adapters, you can use the flash with all your gear. <br>

The support for the Sony/Minolta cameras is good, I have used the Metz flash with Maxxum 7, KM 7D, A700 and A900 cameras. Of the flash functions I tried(*), the only function I have found not to work is wireless control mode with the 900 (the Metz flash does work in wireless remote mode).<br>

If all your gear is Sony/Minolta, then I agree with Steve's advice to keep it simple and use current Sony flashes with your camera.<br>

...Tom M <br>

(*)I might have missed a few functions to try</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My Minolta 5600HS (D) flashgun seems to work very well indeed with my A700 and any of the Sony or D range Minolta lenses. I found that using my Tamron 90mm macro lens with the ADI flash function produced incorrect exposure, but switching the camera to TTL flash mode produced very satisfactory results with this lens.</p>

<p>Keith, I believe that is because the Tamron 90mm is not a ADI capable lens. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure only Minolta D and Sony lenses are ADI capable.<br>

From memory, if you set the camera to ADI flash and you mount a non ADI lens, it should automatically switch to TTL. Perhaps someone who has access to a manual can confirm.</p>

• 5 months later...