Can a Sony/Minolta lens be converted to Canon EOS?

bob denton

<p>Has any ever done this conversion? Does anyone know of anyone who can do this conversion. I have a lens from Minolta Maxxum 9000 that I would like to use on my Canon EOS.</p>

<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Bob</p>

<p>You can buy an adapter with a piece of cheap glass in it which will give you focus infinity & add a slight crop. It will also decrease image quality. You can buy an adapter without any glass, but you will lose focus infinity.</p>

<p>What is the lens? If it's something common/cheap, there is probably a good Canon alternative. If it is something high quality, it would be a shame to use it on a camera it wasn't designed to be used on... Sell it and buy the Canon alternative is the best bet i think :)</p>

<p>Good luck,<br>

Rich</p>

<p>There are no adapters available from Alpha to EOS mount (even those with glass). If you plan to make your own mount conversion, if will also be extremly difficult. In addition to flange to sensor mechanical issues, you will also need to reverse engineer two seperate and different lens aperture and AF control electrical protocol.</p>

<p>.</p>

<p>Robert, what lens, and what aperture do you want to use? (Since the aperture is not directly adjustable on the lens ...)</p>

<p>Richard, what adapter? (I'm thinking of Minolta SR-mount adapters, but Minolta Alpha-mount to EOS-mount cameras seems odd, since there's no direct way to adjust the aperture.)</p>

<p>.</p>

<p>.</p>

<p>... well, don't need no auto focus since all Alpha mount lenses can also be manually focused, but getting to that aperture control while the lens is mounted on a camera is tough. I have an aperture adjuster for when an Alpha mount lens is reverse mounted for macro work -- essentially an Alpha mount rear lens cap opened up, but mine is sturdy metal, not plastic. How to adjust the Alpha mount lens aperture on demand with the aperture control inside the lens-to-camera mount, not what's the challenge. I suppose you could set the aperture before mounting ... argh!</p>

<p>This is one of the reasons I hesitated to go auto focus in 1985 when Minolta abandoned the prior SR-mount after 25 years of successful evolution.</p>

<p>.</p>