When will we see 905 SWC/M?

azhar_fadzil

Dear Blad Users,

Any news or rumours on 905 SWC/M? Or can 905 SWC be upgraded to SWC/M

now? I'm looking forward to upgrade mine. This is due to the problem

with the winding crank... kind of 'stuck' right before advancing to

the next frame. I'm tired of it but really love the lens.

Regards,

Azhar,

Does your 905 or your film-back need repair or lubrication? The M in SWC/M refers, I believe, to the gliding mirror system. Since there is no mirror in the 905, there will not be an upgrade. In fact, I do not see how this little camera can be improved, except perhaps for an improved viewfinder. But even in this regard, one would use Hasselblad's reflex viewer in situations where precise composition is of first importance, as opposed to ease of use.

But perhsps you are thinking that the M refers to a motor-drive? I would not hold my breath waiting for such a drive; I think a motor-drive would ruin what is now a simple, light-weight, quiet, and easy-to-use camera.

The SWC was superceded by the SWC/M which incorporated more space for the finder so you could use the Polaroid back as well as a ratcheting film wind crank. The 903SWC supercedes the SWC/M and incorporates the CF series version of the Biogon and a few other updates. The 905SWC supercedes the 903 with a Biogon reformulation.

So what problem are you experiencing? You should be able to wind no matter what, unless your back or your camera requires an adjustment or lubrication.

Godfrey

Azhar,

Godfrey is correct. The M refers to modifications to the SWC camera (before the introduction of the 903 model) to facilitate the use of a Polaroid back. I apologize for my confusion; I was thinking of the more recent modifications in the 500 series.. A history of the camera can be found at http://www.gilghitelman.com/news_0005.html .

Michael,

<br><br>

<i>But perhsps you are thinking that the M refers to a motor-drive? I would not hold my breath waiting for such a drive; I think a motor-drive would ruin what is now a simple, light-weight, quiet, and easy-to-use camera.</i>

<br><br>

Hasselblad actually did (or does...) make a motor-driven version of the 903SWC camera. I have a listing for it in my 2000 catalog under the Technical Cameras section. It's very much like an EL/M SLR but with the SWC body and lens, all in bright yellow leather.

<br><br>

Although I prefer the 903SWC for the qualities you state, a motor-driven version fitted with a 70mm film load would make an interesting tool for various types of recording purposes and copy work!

<br><br>

Godfrey

Dear All,

Thanks for the response. All this time I thought the 'M' refers to the integral motor. I was wrong. After referring to the catalogue, the superwide with an integral motor is called 903 SWCE. Sorry for that. So my question should be... will we see 905 SWCE in the near future?

Regards,

Given that the 903SWCE and MKWE are specialty technical cameras, they likely sell in very very low volume quantities. They probably produced a run or two of them and could have some still in stock. If there was enough call for them that they ran out, producing the 905 version of the same thing would be easy, it's really just the lens assembly that has changed.

I would contact Hasselblad if you really really have to have one.

Godfrey

<i>

the last I heard is that the SWC/E series are built virtually one at a time, special order only... and don't ask the price!

</i>

<br><br>

Yeah, that makes sense. At $5K plus for a "standard" 905SWC body, I imagine the price for an SWC/E would pay my rent for a year or so. ;-)

<br><br>

<i>

Get any use from the collection of oldie materials I sent you?

</i>

<br><br>

Yessir! It is tremendous fun to walk through all this stuff and learn about details of the line. Right now, however, I'd be hard put to find <b>anything</b> ... I just finished a renovation in my apartment and virtually everything is just stuffed onto shelves to be sure I can fit it. It will take me another month to sort things out to where it's all findable and usable again...

<br><br>

Godfrey

I once saw a motor driven second hand Hasselblad SWC for sale at a photo show. It was not more expensive than a standard SWC. It is not very attractive for the average user. Imagine how to handhold it with the bulky motor drive. You cannot hold it like other SWCs. And its dead ugly.

Ulrik