Johnston on Photography: discussing the Sony A900

hannahthiem

<p>

Mike Johnston, columnist for photo.net and producer of a daily photo news web site, The Online Photographer, at

<a href="http://www.theonlinephotographer.com">www.theonlinephotographer.com</a>, speculates on the phenomena of

consumers "passing judgment" on a new product before accurate hands-on tests and factual data have been released.

</p>

<p>

Take a look at the September Johnston on Photography Column: <a

href="/columns/mjohnston/sony-a900-discussion/">Reserving Judgment—discussing the Sony A900</a>.

</p>

It was first announced by Sony 1 1/2 years ago, and even before that Minolta at least strongly hinted that it was working on it.

So, for all this time, we are supposed to be quiet and wait until we have all been using this camera for a while? I thought freedom of speech still prevails.

I would even tend to think that this kind of speculation can be useful for Sony, to hear opinions from the field, while developing the camera. If I was the boss of a camera manufacturer, I would certainly assign a person to regularly review what is being said about their products, and competitors, in forums like this. How long does it take? Where else do you get free market research?

Thanks Hannah for the link to Mike's column. Well written, and of course he's correct, but at the same time, we

are still going to voice our opinions as to whether the specs of the announced product meet our needs, or not. I

may never be able to afford to spend $3000 for a camera anyway. Mike, if you ever wanted to use the Minolta

wireless flash system, you would need the pop up. With the A900 you'd have to use the Sony Alpha HVL-F58AM --

at this point that's the only option. Besides, the pop of flash on my Maxxum 9 has proved to be very handy, on

occasion.

Kelly

Earlier: "... I've never used the built in flash ..."

Any other features in your cameras that you've never used? Perhaps Sony could make a really

stripped-down model that did nothing but what you do.

However, I have enjoyed the splendid features

and benefits Only From The Mind Of Minolta for years, and in-camera wireless remote flash control was

a distinguishing professional feature of even the cheapest Minolta cameras, and especially differentiating

feature of the top of the line Minolta, the Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum 9.

I'd actually like to have the support of

professional photographic features and benefits that advance beyond "... I've never used the built in flash

..."

Regarding the article, I think the author was suggesting not to presume what the actual performance might

be, say, noise wise.

However, my comment stands: the feature set has been announced, and it's

missing a critical Minolta Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum 9 feature - in-camera flash with wireless control of slave

flashes, which is a deal killer for me.

"I know the lack of an in-built flash"

I have used two cameras in the last year that do not have built-in flashes, the 5D and D3. While at first I

thought it was an issue, I changed my mind and find that for you most part you don't need a flash for general

photography (if you are using the right lens).

I hope the 'real' images are of better quality than some of the images I have seen posted (referring to high ISO

shots).

Sony would sell a lot more of them if they linked the two memory card slots - the lack of this feature was a deal

breaker for me.

General consensus on the Dynax/Maxxum 9 film camera was that the built in flash was poorly received by most professional because of

its lack of power and because it was synonymous with lower end consumer cameras. Generally speaking a dedicated flash is more useful

since it has a separate power source and better range. Though Minolta was criticized for not heralding the flash control features of the

inbuilt flash. I don't think it makes or breaks any deal on this camera - price will.

"Any other features in your cameras that you've never used? Perhaps Sony could make a really stripped-down model that did nothing but what you do."

A bit harsh Peter. I've heard similar things from you, asking for very specific tweaks here and there on cameras. Maybe Sony could make YOU a stripped down "PBM-Alpha" ;-).