Sony/Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/1.8 users?

frolov

Hi,

I'm a long-time Canon EOS user (back from the film days) with a case full of Canon glass. That said, the new

Zeiss lenses for Sony mount are giving me some food for thought. Lens tests look outstanding... Can anyone who

used 24-70mm f/2.8 or 135mm f/1.8 comment on their impressions (especially if you also had experience with Canon

24-70/2.8L and 135/2L)? Is there a fast 50mm in the Sony lineup? How effective is in-body image stabilization?

Finally, should I decide to jump into Sony system (presumably to an upcoming a900 body ^_^), am I in for a

culture shock?

Regards, Andrei.

Hi Andrei,

While the Zeiss lenses are going to be technically better I guess, as they were designed to meet the high demands of 24+MP sensors, they're not going to take better photos than your Canon's. Indeed, if you are used to your Canon system, you may find the Sony/CZ set up not as good.

I'm thinking the 135CZ is going to be quite a bit bigger/heavier than your 135/2 also... that may or may not be important to you, but I know it is for some.

Is the stabalisation effective? Well, that's a question for google.You should find loads on that, but the right answer is yes - it is darn effective. I guess that's the main thing you will gain, being able to shoot in lower light w/o the need for stabalised (heavier) lenses.

A comparison for someone using/who has used both system? You best bet would be dyxum.com - I think I know a few over there that have dilly-dallied between the two.

Culture shock how? Well, if you're a professional or semi professional you are unlikely to get the same support you will with your Canon gear, but I can't see you having a problem with such a high class set up anyway. The Alphas are intuitively laid out feel great in your hand (atleast mine)... but, as I said, if you're used to Canon, you may find them easier to use/more comfortable. Of course, everyoen can adapt.

Is it really worth the switch though? What are you looking to gain?

Best of luck,

Rich

I would think it is an unknown if the new A900 will have effective in body stabilization. Since the sensor is much larger than the current Sony camera I would think even if historical data is positive it is not a given the new camera will enjoy an equal reputation in this area (it might but only time will tell).

I really don't think the ergonomics of a camera is a good reason to switch to the alpha system ? I my self have been shooting Minolta, now Sony for over 25 yrs, and the Zeiss lenses are EXCEPTIONAL, The Minolta "G" and now the Sony "G" lenses are simply the best you can get. They are pricey, but you get what you pay for even if some of them are a little steep,(300mm 2.8 ssm revamped by Sony 5999.99 USD @ B&H photo) but they are great lenses.<div>00Qlsr-69909584.JPG.001b489b9c6913715dd0c21b8b9a7469.JPG</div>

I'll try to weigh in here for Andrei and say that I find the ergonomics of the Sony A700 I currently use to be better than the Nikons and Canons, although I have not used their 5D or 1DS MkIII, or any of the variants. I was never crazy about the rotary dial on the Canons, and I never liked the lack of dedicated buttons on the Nikons (the D70 always drove me crazy, because you had to hold a button down and roll the wheels to change WB, flash, etc, and the icons were so tiny).

I've always hated DSLRs that bury important functions in a menu. That was always my frustration with the A100 and many other cameras. With the A700, and the new A900 coming out, you'll have dedicated control buttons for everything, and great ergonomics.

I can tell you that even though lenses will probably always be more easy to get for Canons and Nikons, the Sony platform has more going for it than any other make, such as Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, etc. With millions of Minolta AF lenses out there, with Sony being tied in with Tamron, with Sigma continuing to support the Sony platform, and with Zeiss glass, there is really a lot of glass out there for Sony. I don't think you'll be disappointed. You can even rent pro Sony glass now through a couple of online businesses. You can even get the big white lenses so the Canon guys won't look down their noses at you so much.

I can also tell you that I have personally used the Sony image stabilization to handhold macro shots and long zoom shots down to 1/15 of a second. I've even handheld them at 1/10th, but maybe my hands were extra steady that day. It really does work, and has the advantage of working with any lens you put on it. For me, that's the main reason I don't use Canon or Nikon.

Culture shock? It's really all in your head.