70-400/4.5-5.6 G SSM

ricardovaste

That's what I thought Sean. 1.5KG's and its probably going to extend quite a bit too. It's going to be a great performer, for sure, but I don't know how many people (other than people that buy the latest and great or have some buying addiction) could fit it into their kit... maybe this is why the original 100-400APO didnt sell particularly well, though that lens is much lighter I think. It could just be a not so popular range?

I think, If i were carrying that much weight around, I would prefer to add another 500grams and use a 300/2.8 of some brand. If i wanted a telezoom to carry around as an "everywhere" type lens, I would be more inclined to get a 70-300 type lens (ie the big beercan or new G lens).

Glad you liked your (relatively) new lens Sean! It seems to get pretty decent reviews, even if the reviewers can't always see if its worth all the extra cash over the alternatives. I think they will be very quiet when they see how this performs on the 24.6MP sensor :-).

I'm starting to get back into landscapes a bit and need something telephoto for isolating scenes (I dont think primes are particularly practical for such applications, though they can work). I'm unsure as to whether to go for the big beercan or the new 70-300G really... I guess, if Im stopping down a lot, its probably not worth the extra cost for the 70-300G. Just curious, that hood is pretty massive, is flare control good w/o it on on yours?

This isn't too out of line with the comparable Canon 100-400 and Nikon 80-400 lenses when it comes to size and weight. The older 100-400 wasn't particularly large. If I can compare the old 100-400 to the 100-300 APO D which I have, it wasn't too much larger but there was a big price bump to get that next 100mm (although as I recall, it wasn't as pricey as the Canons/Nikons either). However, it was very slow in use on the 7D and ground along disappointingly on dynamic subject matter like soccer games and birds in flight.

However, with the apparent faster max apertures, and if optics and performance speeds keep up, the popularity of the Canon 100-400 and Nikon 80-400 (which they are frothing at the mouth for updates) would indicate that this should be a very desirable lens.