Fashion ring flash for alpha cameras

s._c.

I shot a model over the weekend using a friend's discontinued sunpak ring flash that had enough output. I would like

to use this technique more. It seems like many of the current portable ring flashes are not that powerful. I don't

imagine shooting more than 15 feet away. I didn't want to be tied to the tripod with the Profoto ring. I need it to

accomodate up to 67mm filter size. Any suggestions (without breaking the bank) will be greatly appreciated.

How much will break the bank? You might look at the units made by Paul Buff (under his Alien Bees and Zeuss brands/lines). If you need to go portable, but actually need the light to shoot full-body fashion on location, you can use their Vagabond battery system. The concepts of portability and fashion-worthy ring flashes are rather at odds with each other... and all the more so if you use the word "budget" in the same conversation!

Preferably less than 400. The alien bee ring looks like it may have enough power, hopefully not too much. My friend handled one, but he said it felt a bit flimsy. He has the sunpak dx12r, which is discontinued and has mixed reviews from what I understand. How much of a guide number should be adequate? Thanks.

I have an Alien Bee and at 300w/s it's powerful enough. It is a bit flimsy - plastic and all - but you get what you pay for. I've used it hand held, but wouldn't recommend it, bit clunky. Overall, if you take care of it, shoot from a tripod, you should be as satisfied as me.